Fantail with fin rot but not my telescope

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cholu

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,

Thank you in advance for your advice. I recently adopted a gorgeous fantail and moved her and a my telescope from a previous tank (with a majority of its water) into a new 75 gallon tank. The last week or so she's been lethargic and then the last two days I noticed she's suffering from fin rot and and she had poop all over herself. Concerned I obviously changed the water and tested it. I found my nitrite and nitrate levels were high and I ordered the appropriate materials to rectify this in addition to changing the water but it's odd because my telescope is not affected in the slightest.

I've ordered metheleyne blue, nitro-zorb, quick start and aquarium salt while removing her to an isolated tank

Some fish are just more susceptible to infection than others.

You need to get your water parameters under control and get your tank cycled. Products like nitrazorb will just slow down how long it takes to cycle your tank and prevent it from cycling properly.

Just control water parameters with water changes until your cycle establishes, no need for chemical products in the water.

What is your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate at?

Be aware that methylene blue will stain your tank, and it could also kill off any cycle you have. It would be better to treat your afflicted fish in quarantine than your main tank.

Back
Top Bottom