Fast replies please if possible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Satsumas

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Im in school at the moment and i just went to the shop to buy some anti-fin rot and fungus control for my betta.

I spotted some oto's! i've wanted some for ages but didnt buy them as my bus home is at 3 and i wanted to keep them in the bag for as little time as possible.

Also im not definately going to go back and buy them as i will be treating my water this afternoon and dont think it'll be a good idea adding a 2 new fish.

Although they are small and shouldnt be a problem for the filter im not ure its a good idea to add fish into unsettled water well treated water.

Does anyone think it'll be ok?

Don't add any new fish until your tank has no signs of disease. Ideally you would have a tank to quarantine them in before adding them to your main tank. This avoids transfering disease from the shop to your tank. However, sometimes that is hard to do.

Yeah thats what i think i should do too.
I've been adding a tablespoon of salt everyday for the last 3 days and the problem dosent seem to have got any worse but it seems like quite a slow spreading problem from expierience.

How hardy are oto's?

I am told that they are somewhat delicate and should only be added to established tanks. A food issue I believe. There can be probs if in a LFS where they have'nt eaten in a long time (shipping) and you take them home and the shock gets the better of them.

Yeah i heard they are prone to just die. people say its shock of travelling etc.. hence the fact that i'd want to buy them as late as possible.

These ones lookhealthy though and i think they might have been in the store for a long time. They are small and there's only about 2, 3 or 4 in the tank. There in there with 10+ small cory's and other small fish. I dont think ive seen them before cus when i did my mate spotted them sitting on the back of a tube.

They look full of colour and have no visual problems.

Im really not sure what i shoud do. I want them as much as i hate the algae on my tank!

they won't cure your algae. Do a sreach for algae problems and browse a few threads.... that'll help ya a bit more than algae eating fish.

I dont really want the algae cured. Just the quantity of it brought down.

I didnt buy them which i regret cus i'd be watching them now instead of doing the boring water treatment. But in the long run i'll be glad i didnt buy them today. Friday's the day when i want to buy them it depends really if my betta is better. :wink:

IME otocinclus are stunning little brown algae/diatom eaters, but once that is gone they are not so hot with the green stuff. Plus, as suggested, sometimes they are somewhat delicate. Is your bumblebee not getting the job done?

If you are having fin rot problems, that suggests that there may be some changes necessary in your maintenance program, though it could be related to injury from decorations or something like that. I'd increase gravel vacs and PWCs while you treat for fin rot to remove excess DOC's from the water.

Right. Ive just treated my water, it says leave the filter media out for 7 days.
What will happen to my freindly bacteria in the filter? will they die if there not in water of the same or similair temp as the tank?

I removed the filter media and left the filter on, so the water is constantly moving. Correct? (it dosent say in the booklet)

otocinclus are stunning little brown algae/diatom eaters, but once that is gone they are not so hot with the green stuff

TankGirl. What do you mean by "they are no so hot with the green stuff"?
No my bumblebee has been rather dissapointing. He sits in hiding all day, occasionally pops out, not for long though. Then he comes out when the hatch is lifted as he knows its food time.

I need to buy that Phython gravel vac/water change 2 in 1 combi thing but i cant find anywhere that sells it or anywhere on the web where they post to England!

Yikes! 8O Is the filter media still wet? If so, I would definitely put it back in the filter. It is the activated carbon that should be removed, not all the filter media. Your tank may be ok without it, but will more than likely experience an ammonia or nitrite spike. Does your filter have a BioWheel?

Right im really confused now!

On the treatment bottle it says remove carbon and zeolite. This may be returned in 7 days.

If i put the sponge back in then my filter wil not have changed. I will have taken nothing out!

At the moment my filter is on with just the outer pieces. (no internal case which holds my sponge) So if the internal case and sponge are put back in then it will be the same as its always been.

A sponge is not carbon or zeolite those are used to remove chemicals etc. A sponge removes paricles in the water and gives your bacteria surface are to grow on. It will not effect the medecine at all. The carbon will remove the medice thats why the insructions say to remove it.

No im gonna leave it out. There's no point in doing half of what the instructions say. My main concern is curing my betta.

Its annoying that my other fish have to go through it just cus 1 has fin rot but they are tough enough.

When i feed them? should i put a bare minimum in? or feed them every other day?

What is the carbon?

All that i have taken out is my sponge and the plastic case that its attached to.

Right. http://www.discoveraquatics.co.uk/filtration/pics/small pics/iv4.jpg

At the moment i have... the very top of the filter (part where water is blasted out)
and the outer plastic casing with nothing in (the sponge and plastic case which holds the sponge would normally be in it)

Back
Top Bottom