Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-31-2003, 11:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Fat fish?

Ok please dont laugh but we have one more question. My hubby just fed the fish. We are trying to figure out what is a good amount that they eat in 5 minutes so he is putting small amounts and timing them. one of the fish always makes a mad dash to get the most food and my hubby says he is starting to look fat. Can a fish get fat?

Stacie

Old 07-31-2003, 11:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

they sure can get fat!

fat little round bellies, as long as the scales are laying normally along the bottom is just a sign of being "well fed"

however, if the scales are missing or sticking out, it's a sign of sickness called dropsy.

Old 08-01-2003, 02:36 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes, my dwarf gourami is definitely fat. I named him Pighead after a character in a book I read, and apparently it gave him a complex or something. He shares his tank with two cory catfish, and after eating all his food off the top, he swims down and acts like a bottom feeder in order to gorge on all their sinking pellets. There is no doubt that he's become wider since I bought him.
Old 08-01-2003, 02:38 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oh, and about the feeding, what kind of fish is dashing to steal all the food? Some fish are definite faster feeders than others. What type of fish do you have?
Old 08-01-2003, 10:04 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

hello- right now I have 3 goldfish and 1 betta, but I am taking the betta out today. The goldfish my hubby bought at walmart so I dont know the type just that they are probaby common and are about 3-4 inches long.
flourescent light bar
3 goldfish
6 red wag platy
2 mystery snails
1 gray snail
saaebn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 12:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

My guys are fat pigs. The angels, the loaches, even the plec.

They get fed once or twice a day, small amounts. After they eat, everyone has round bellies, I think in part cause everyone eats everyone elses food (the plec eats the cichlid pellets, the angels eat the algae wafers, the loaches eat everything).

Its so bad we finally named one of our angelfish Mr Creosote. If you're familiar with Monty Python, you'll understand why.

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 12:56 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Allivymar:

I know what you mean - all of our fish do that too (eating the others' food). I think I have the most bloated Spotted Raphael in existance - even though she's never out to be seen! Our little Clown Pleco also looks like he's about to explode he's so fat.

The only bad thing we've ever had happen, with repect to eating/feeding, is when one of our smaller eels made the mistake of trying to eat a NightCrawler that was too big for him, and managed to choke himself to death

--- Dragon77
Old 08-22-2003, 03:05 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

"Yes, my dwarf gourami is definitely fat. I named him Pighead after a character in a book I read, and apparently it gave him a complex or something. He shares his tank with two cory catfish, and after eating all his food off the top, he swims down and acts like a bottom feeder in order to gorge on all their sinking pellets."

My larger Dwarf Gourami does the same thing AND eats algae wafers along with eating some of the Java Moss in the tank. The next morning after I put a wafer in the tank, the Gourami is noticably fatter in the tummy

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 04:20 PM   #9
SixFootDaisy

All my fish are on the chunky side.

Whenever I feed them they somehow feel like it is the last chance they'll ever have to eat. There is not such thing as wasted food in my tank.

Between feedings, all my fish scavange the bottom, pick at the plants and the decor, and the glass.

At night I drop a couple shrimp pellets in for my corys, my fish pick at them too.
Old 08-23-2003, 04:52 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to notmuffy
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock3000
"Yes, my dwarf gourami is definitely fat. I named him Pighead after a character in a book I read, and apparently it gave him a complex or something. He shares his tank with two cory catfish, and after eating all his food off the top, he swims down and acts like a bottom feeder in order to gorge on all their sinking pellets."

My larger Dwarf Gourami does the same thing AND eats algae wafers along with eating some of the Java Moss in the tank. The next morning after I put a wafer in the tank, the Gourami is noticably fatter in the tummy
Here! Here!
I have a pair of dwarf gouramis. The female one is sooo fat, I thought she was about to lay eggs for about 3 months running.... I feed them flakes and I used to drop a sinking wafer in for my crayfish. The gouramis would accost the crayfish until it had to swat and swipe at them to shoo them away! The crab that I have now is having more trouble keeping them at bay (he's a lot smaller) so he has to try to hide when he takes his wafer. The gouramis are definitely big oinkers!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com