Fat fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saaebn

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok please dont laugh but we have one more question. My hubby just fed the fish. We are trying to figure out what is a good amount that they eat in 5 minutes so he is putting small amounts and timing them. one of the fish always makes a mad dash to get the most food and my hubby says he is starting to look fat. Can a fish get fat? :roll:

Stacie

they sure can get fat!

fat little round bellies, as long as the scales are laying normally along the bottom is just a sign of being "well fed"

however, if the scales are missing or sticking out, it's a sign of sickness called dropsy.

Yes, my dwarf gourami is definitely fat. I named him Pighead after a character in a book I read, and apparently it gave him a complex or something. He shares his tank with two cory catfish, and after eating all his food off the top, he swims down and acts like a bottom feeder in order to gorge on all their sinking pellets. There is no doubt that he's become wider since I bought him.

Oh, and about the feeding, what kind of fish is dashing to steal all the food? Some fish are definite faster feeders than others. What type of fish do you have?

hello- right now I have 3 goldfish and 1 betta, but I am taking the betta out today. The goldfish my hubby bought at walmart so I dont know the type just that they are probaby common and are about 3-4 inches long.

My guys are fat pigs. The angels, the loaches, even the plec.

They get fed once or twice a day, small amounts. After they eat, everyone has round bellies, I think in part cause everyone eats everyone elses food (the plec eats the cichlid pellets, the angels eat the algae wafers, the loaches eat everything).

Its so bad we finally named one of our angelfish Mr Creosote. If you're familiar with Monty Python, you'll understand why.

Allivymar:

I know what you mean - all of our fish do that too (eating the others' food). I think I have the most bloated Spotted Raphael in existance - even though she's never out to be seen! Our little Clown Pleco also looks like he's about to explode he's so fat.

The only bad thing we've ever had happen, with repect to eating/feeding, is when one of our smaller eels made the mistake of trying to eat a NightCrawler that was too big for him, and managed to choke himself to death :(

--- Dragon77

"Yes, my dwarf gourami is definitely fat. I named him Pighead after a character in a book I read, and apparently it gave him a complex or something. He shares his tank with two cory catfish, and after eating all his food off the top, he swims down and acts like a bottom feeder in order to gorge on all their sinking pellets."

My larger Dwarf Gourami does the same thing AND eats algae wafers along with eating some of the Java Moss in the tank. The next morning after I put a wafer in the tank, the Gourami is noticably fatter in the tummy :wink:

All my fish are on the chunky side.

Whenever I feed them they somehow feel like it is the last chance they'll ever have to eat. There is not such thing as wasted food in my tank.

Between feedings, all my fish scavange the bottom, pick at the plants and the decor, and the glass.

At night I drop a couple shrimp pellets in for my corys, my fish pick at them too.

grimlock3000 said:
"Yes, my dwarf gourami is definitely fat. I named him Pighead after a character in a book I read, and apparently it gave him a complex or something. He shares his tank with two cory catfish, and after eating all his food off the top, he swims down and acts like a bottom feeder in order to gorge on all their sinking pellets."

My larger Dwarf Gourami does the same thing AND eats algae wafers along with eating some of the Java Moss in the tank. The next morning after I put a wafer in the tank, the Gourami is noticably fatter in the tummy :wink:

Here! Here!
I have a pair of dwarf gouramis. The female one is sooo fat, I thought she was about to lay eggs for about 3 months running.... I feed them flakes and I used to drop a sinking wafer in for my crayfish. The gouramis would accost the crayfish until it had to swat and swipe at them to shoo them away! The crab that I have now is having more trouble keeping them at bay (he's a lot smaller) so he has to try to hide when he takes his wafer. The gouramis are definitely big oinkers!

Back
Top Bottom