Fat platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ellenquacker72

Aquarium Advice Freak
My new platy seems to be quite a bit fatter than my other 2, who ive had since june. One day i gave them a bit too many flakes, and unlike my old guys, the new one just kept eating and eating. He got so fat! Do platies get bigger when they overeat? Im not sure if he was large to begin with, if so i hadnt noticed. But he hasnt really shrunk since then, and its been about 3 days, i fed them peas yesterday. He had white stringy poop once, (i havent seen him poop any other time) but all my platies do that eveyonce and a while. Could he have an internal parasite? Or dropsy? Is dropsy contagious? ive read conflicting things. I dont have a quarantine tank :(

It could be internal parasites. No, dropsy is not contagious. Sometimes fish are just fat. Do you have any pics?

Ill try and get pics up tomorrow. Maybe hes constipated? Ill try not feeding him tomorrow.

You sure its a boy? maybe its a pregnant girl.... Js pics would help thx

Ok well then maybe reduce your food. Maybe hes a pig nd eats alot lol

I did yesterday, and today i didnt feed them. Probably more peas tomorrow. It looks so sad only boiling 2 peas haha

So i fed them only peas one day, then a fast day, then peas again. Ive been feeding them 2 flakes every day, since then.This fish is acting normally, but i have never seen him poop unlike my other 2 platies who do it 24/7. But every once and a while ill see what looks similar to a scale falling from him, which im thinking might be feces, but its really hard to tell. He is still fat, not so hes getting much wider, but underneath his stomach seems very big. My other platies are almost symetrical, wheras hes got a big tummy bump, and its really got me worried :( his scales arent sticking up or anything.

could be a balloon platy or deformed I have a platy that looks like how you explained. Its belly is big.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111003_003825.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111003_003825.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 197
Mines a green calico im pretty sure. But he seems thin in the morning and big in the afternoon. Im beginning to think he just finds food even if i dont feed him. Its just too weird.

is my platy pregnant ????

hello i have a platy seen here i think she's is pregnant, and if she is wen should i move her to a different tank ? i do see a graved spot on her what do you guys think. sorry about the bad quality pics.. she has been getting bigger and bigger so how far along do you think she is. :confused:

Attachments

• 100_0452.jpg
    100_0452.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 117
  • 319619_2307243732745_1598856286_32376486_641171186_n.jpg
    319619_2307243732745_1598856286_32376486_641171186_n.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 127
Yes she is pregnant! Congrats! Id say she is a week or two into her pregnancy i wouldnt move her yet maybe a week or two you could

awesome yay :) first question what do i need to do for her( food..breeding tank.. medicine etc). second question how do I tell when she's going to give birth

Well for now not much. Later on you could put some floating plants in the tank and let her drop in the tank(natural way). As for the way to tell is the belly begins to square off [i will post a pics of what that looks like at the end], she will not eat, and she will suclude herself from the other fish. Hope this helps!

Attachments

• image-3470586370.jpg
    image-3470586370.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 156
is my platy pregnant had to remove a mean fish will that cause her to abort

hello again we had to remove a troublesome fish today. a glofish was chasing the platy and other fish around the tank took some work to catch but we kept in mind to only try to catch the glow fish when she was far away from the platy. will this cause any problems with the platy pregnancy and what are the signs of an abortion in a fish.

no fry

it's been about 3 weeks and she hasn't gotten any bigger but she still big. she looks like she has a grad spot still and looks like she has fry inside of her. but she still eats and looks like she's in perfect health. my question to you guys is why:banghead:

Back
Top Bottom