Featherfin Skin Problem :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ashi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I have a large featherfin cat, I have had him for about 6 months now and have never had a problem with him.

A few weeks ago I noticed he was (only very occasionally) quickly flipping over and rubbing himself on the wood in the tank. He stopped doing it after a day or two, but I read up about this kind of behavior and suspected it may be Ich. I kept a close eye on him and when I noticed him repeating the behavior started the heat treatment in my tank, although without aquarium salt because I fear the effect this may have on catfish.

Since beginning to raise the heat I have noticed a very small hole in one of his bottom fins, and a patch of what looks like silvery damaged skin that appears to have grown overnight. I am now wondering if Ich is the correct diagnosis.

I am very worried because I am very attached to this fish! Please help!

I am trying to attach images now.

Last edited:
Here are some images of the affected area

Attachments

• IMG_6694.jpg
    IMG_6694.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_6694-2.jpg
    IMG_6694-2.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_6695.jpg
    IMG_6695.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 82
My tank is 170L and it has been set up for about 4 months (we did a tank upgrade a few months after getting the catfish but we used as much of the already cycled water as we could in the new tank).

It is filtered using a large filter and aerator, usually with activated carbon although this has been removed for the treatment of possible Ich. I have also started doing daily 25% water changes.

My catfish eat sinking shrimp pellets and the others eat small floating pellets and occasionally bloodworms and sinking algae pellets.

Other fish in the tank are 1 Julii Cory, 1 Flame Gourami, 1 Congo Tetra and one Silver Bala Shark, all still small, and 5 guppies. All these fish have been added within the last month, although all are healthy and happy.

He also now has a red mark above his gills on one side that looks like a sore... Please, someone reply!

I have figured it's not ich and am turning the heat back to normal, although my featherfin is still flashing and now a guppy is too. I am not sure if I have set something wrong on this post but nobody is replying.... :(

Back
Top Bottom