Female Betta Fin Rot emergency

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amydee123

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone,

Kinda panicking, had a female beta fish for about 4 weeks now and has seemed happy and healthy until now. Just noticed her fins are sparse and seem decayed. She is not moving much at all. I have no spare tank or filter or heater as one is coming in the next few weeks. What should I do please help. They live in a 60 gallon tank with one other beta fish and some Dalmatian mollies.

-Amy

Is the tail white around the missing pieces? Poor water quality or injuries are the usual causes for fin rot. What are your water parameters? Have you noticed the mollies nipping at her at all? Are there any sharp decorations that she could have hurt herself on?

Do you know your water parameters?

How long has the tank been set up?

The first thing I think, is to do some water changes to make sure the water quality is in top shape.

Is there just one fish which has tattered fins?

This fish might just need some help if she is the only one that looks ill.

A smallish clear plastic shoe bin (Clean and rinsed for fish safety on any items ) might work to keep her, or a large gallon pickle jar, or a large clear vase.

At this point the best idea might be that you can watch and keep an eye on her. Do you have an extra air bubbler? It is not required but if it isn't too strong (you can pinch the air tube with a clothes pin or clamp, chip bag clip) it might be good to have running. In a warm place in the house.

Do you have Epsom salts plain no additives?

A pic would help.

How long has this tank been running? Is it cycled, are you familiar with the nitrification cycle?

Fresh clean water (treated for chlorine) and daily water changes can sometimes help a fish recover from poor fin condition/ illness.

Though you may need medication.

Back
Top Bottom