Female betta Flashing, Clamped Fins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ziggs180

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got a Female Betta a few days ago, there hasnt been any aggression between her and my Tank mates at all. However Today I noticed she has been flashing against my plants, and her tail is clamped. I'm not noticing any white spots on her (I've had ick before) or any other of my fish, so that is ruled out. she ate this morning when I fed her, and I performed a water change just 2 days ago.

Shes been doing this since I woke up today, possibly yesterday as well, But i wasn't home. She has also been doing this strange behavior where she will bend her body into almost a semi-circle, if that counts. I got her from a cup in the LFS, so i'm not sure how she could of gotten sick and the rest of my fish not sick.

my fish randomly will flash against ground wood plants...there healthy...just scratching:p...clamped tail is weird though...?

Shes scratching alot, but not constantly. I acclimited her by placing her and the water from the cup in a zip lock bag, floating for 20ish minutes, then every 15 adding some tank water for about an hour then adding her to the tank.

Keep in mind that many bettas are not community fish, so she could be uncomfortable. But you haven't had her long either, and she may still just be stressed by her new environment.

I figured she would feel uncomfortable, but shes chosen her hiding places (At the base of my amazon Sword) whenever my Rams and Gourami start chasing eachother. But do Bettas normally scratch when they are uncomfortable? Just now she was chasing around a piece of dead plant matter, so shes definitly not lethargic at all.

I think each fish shows its discomfort in its own way. Just observe her, give her more time to settle in and then see what's what.

The flashing seems to have stopped, but her tail is still clamped. Are Female bettas Territorial? Cause she tends to hang out around the base of my Amazon Sword.

Back
Top Bottom