Female Black Molly Fish Swim Bladder Disease

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imsojojo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, thank you for reading my situation and trying to help. The following is info about my emergency situation with an ill fish. Any advice or suggestions are greatly welcomed I have only had fish for a little over 2 years now and I am definitely not an expert.

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank?

Reguar tank is 10 gallons
Hospital tank is 2.5 gallons

How long has the tank been running?

Normal tank has been running for 1 month after I re-set it up.

Does it have a filter?

Normal tank does, hosptal tank does not.

Does it have a heater?

Normal tank does hospital tank does not

What is the water temperature?

78 degrees Farenheit

What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)

Black molly (female) and Gold Doubloon Molly (male)

Maintenance
How often do you change the water?

Once a week

How much of the water do you change?

25 %

What do you use to treat your water?

Prime

Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?

Vacuum the substrate

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?

No

What do you use to test the water?

Ammonia alert tag

What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: I only know safe (yellow on ammonia alert tag)
Nitrite: I don't know
Nitrate: I don't know
pH: 7.0

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish?

Once every evening

How much do you feed your fish?

One pinch for both

What brand of food do you feed your fish?

Tetra flakes

Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?

Freeze dried

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish?

3 months

How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?

2 days ago (Friday February 19th 10 pm)

In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?

Friday night she was super bloated, staying at the bottom of the tank, gasping for air, not swimming well (kept sinking)

Have you started any treatment for the illness?

Friday night I put her in a hospital tank with fresh conditioned water, the male molly went with her because they are super bonded to each other and they were both freaking out without each other and I believe the male molly is blind (fights decor items, bumps into glass, has trouble finding food) I used some epsom salts and Artemis in the hospital tank (that's all I had that late at night). Saturday morning I got and used API aquarium salts with a water a change. I did not feed them Friday or Saturday. Sunday I fed them 2 organic cut up peas without the pods they did not eat anything. Today I tried Melafix and Primafix and I tried hand feeding them with this little cup stick I got at Petsmart. Both were not interested in a small daphania snack. I think they are just not used to hand feeding.

Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?

Yes. I adopted them from a guy whose betta attacked them they had injuries to their fins and tails. They both made a full recovery in their own tank I set up for just them 2.

How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?

The female black molly lays on her side at the bottom of the tank gasping for air when she is usually moderately active. Both mollies seemed to be more on the lazy, lounging most of the side versus being super active but they both calmly swam around from time to time. When I carefuly inspected the black molly Friday night it looked like she possibly had some white specks on her fins and body they seemed more fuzzy than solid and I'm not exactly sure what I was seeing and if it was just my paranoia and imagination. Her body and fins look pretty normal to me now.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

I don't know if my black molly female had or has some sort of bacterial infection, bacterial dropsy, or swim bladder disease. She was bloated Friday night but now without a couple of meals she seems fine size wise. I'm worried that she has a deflated swim bladder and still can't swim or float normally. She keeps sinking, laying on her side, and gasping for air. I have tried epsom salts, artemis, aquarium salts, melafix, primafix, feeding cut up organic peas without pods, water changes, and hand feeding a daphania snack since she is having trouble moving. What else should I do? Is this swim bladder disease? How long should it take for her to recover if she makes it?

Attachments

• 20210222_143622.jpg
    20210222_143622.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 240
  • 20210222_143624.jpg
    20210222_143624.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 132
  • 20210222_130411.jpg
    20210222_130411.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 20210222_130341.jpg
    20210222_130341.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 34
I’m not seeing the point of a hospital tank if you are putting the other healthy fish in it... Unless I’m missing something or miss read.

They are bonded and Water Check

I’m not seeing the point of a hospital tank if you are putting the other healthy fish in it... Unless I’m missing something or miss read.

They were seriously bonded and I wanted to check the water quality of their original tank without living the healthy fish in there, everything came back normal. Sadly she died last night. The male molly is doing okay.

Back
Top Bottom