Female german ram acting strange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DazF

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,
The past few days my ram has been acting strange...
Keeps rubbing against the gravel and hiding, today she isnt eating either...
Water levels are fine and there are no signs of any obvious illnesses...
Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

She doesn't look it, also yesterday was the day I fast them, usually she goes crazy at feeding time the day after!
Seems to have lost a bit of colour but not much... ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399321062.851635.jpg

Rams are tough man... I'm a veteran loser of rams, I love them though so I won't give up, just got a pair of wild caught gbr's in hopes if keeping them alive for a spell.. My last ram went to the bottom for a few days and stopped eating, got bloated, I qtd him with API General cure for 2 weeks and he came back 100%, I was pumped!! 3 weeks later <x.x ----{

Yeah :( i knew it would be tough but they are beautiful fish.
So far shes been fine, really unsure whats wrong :/

I got home from work to see she didnt make it :( so gutted she was one of my fave fish! Not sure i will go for another though maybe they are just too fragile for a community :(

I got home from work to see she didnt make it :( so gutted she was one of my fave fish! Not sure i will go for another though maybe they are just too fragile for a community :(
aww bummer.. It sucks, I know, they're such happy little fish you can't help but get attached.. If you try again here are a few things to consider.. Stock- most gbr's are over bred to the point of weakening, this can be the reason some drop before the 5/6 month mark. Look for top breeders such as yunite on eBay. You can also try Bolivians or wild caught.. I've tried the wild caught rams, I've also heavily planted my tank to keep nitrates low. I've just recently set up a water aging bin to keep ph steady during wc's.. Even after all this I'll still be shocked if I have this pair a year down the road;)

I did initially think about bolivians but some people say they are just as fragile? What about golden rams are they any hardier? My lfs has some beautiful ones which are quite large

I did initially think about bolivians but some people say they are just as fragile? What about golden rams are they any hardier? My lfs has some beautiful ones which are quite large
it seems Bolivians would be the hardiest while color morphs like electric blues and golds would be the most fragile..

Hmmm might just keep the space in my tank. thinking of changing to sand soon and adding some kuhli loaches ...
However i really do love rams haha have you kept bolivians before?

Nope, I've had electric blue, gbr, and as of last week a pair of wild gbr..

Back
Top Bottom