female molly swimming funny

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jangus1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can someone please help I'm worried my fish is ill. It started today where my female molly seems to be just floating vertically head upwards. If I bother her she will swims off ok but then just go back to floating. Normally quite an active fish.
My tank is about 2 months old and I do regular water changes after the tank settled down. Last established one was a 25%change yesterday also changing the carbon in my filter.
My tank is 65ltrs
ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 40 ppm
Ph 7.8

Thanks

Was your test after the pwc? I would do a couple more water changes to get the Nitrates down just a little lower.

Do you know if the tank was actually cycled? Did you replace the filter pad too when you replaced the carbon.

This is about 17G just for comparison sake.

Have you noticed clear or stringy poop?

You could try feeding her some peas. You can use fresh or frozen and just take a handful in a dish with a little filtered (bottled) water (or tank water) and microwave until they are soft. Take out the insides there will be two halves and the little germ part. You can see if she will eat that. It has fiber to help incase of bloat/constipation.

You can refrigerate the some for a few days supply and refreeze the rest for feeding after defrosting, in the future.

Last edited:
Fish get Swim Bladder problems from gulping tons of air when eating. It should go away on its own.

Back
Top Bottom