Female swordtail problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jenn2464

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
1~ I have a female swordtail that hasn't really acted right since I got her. Had her for a little over two weeks. Until today she would constantly stay at the bottom, isolated, hardly moving, and wouldn't eat. Showed no signs of illness. Today, she is suddenly at the top of the tank, with her head up as if she's having trouble breathing. Also, one side of her gills is red, almost looks bloody.
2~Ammonia-0, Nitrite-0, Nitrate-10-20 , pH- 7.4
3~ The tank is 25 gallons, and has been set up for about 2 months. This was the first time I have put fish in it.
4~ I use a penguin 150.
5~When I got her, I also got one male swordfish, and six neon tetras. I thought the male might be stressing her out, but he really doesn't pay any attention to her.
6~I did a water change right before I got these fish, about two weeks ago. I usually do a partial water change every week, two weeks at the most.
7~ I acclimated the swordtails and tetras in different bags, floated them for 15 minutes, then poured half a cup of tank water in their bags every 4 minutes until the bag filled, then dumped half the water and filled it again.
8~Four days ago I added some new plants(amazon sword and some small stems) and a pot separately. The plants and pot were washed thoroughly beforehand, and the pot had no chemicals on it.
9~I've been feeding everyone flake food as of now. The female hasn't ate since I've had her that I have seen, even when the food is placed right above her.

I do have a quarantine tank set up. Should I move her there, to be safe? No one else in the tank is showing any of her symptoms.

Update: She died while I was at class. Looking closer at her now, I can see that her gills on the left side were filled with blood. I'm guessing that's the cause of her death. How she got that way I have no idea.

Back
Top Bottom