female swordtail tail fin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

claudio1

Aquarium Advice Activist
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1438171398.666144.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1438171413.543004.jpg

hello,don't know if this is normal but i just noticed that 1 of my female swordtail has what it looks like a swollen bit on the tail fin...need advice please.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If it is lump like on black areas of sword it could be melanoma.
For real.
Should be no real problem for the sword if it stays small and is not contagious at all to anything.
It is a cancer the same as humans get from too much pigment in the fishes case.
Several universities in the US use swordtails to study genetics behind melanoma in humans at this time .
In my three + years creating my own strain of "showa" swords I brought melanoma out in my fish myself for a little over a year in very black swords.
Hope this helps.
I have an old thread from another site with several links if you are interested.

If it is lump like on black areas of sword it could be melanoma.
For real.
Should be no real problem for the sword if it stays small and is not contagious at all to anything.
It is a cancer the same as humans get from too much pigment in the fishes case.
Several universities in the US use swordtails to study genetics behind melanoma in humans at this time .
In my three + years creating my own strain of "showa" swords I brought melanoma out in my fish myself for a little over a year in very black swords.
Hope this helps.
I have an old thread from another site with several links if you are interested.

thanks for your reply,i will keep an eye on the fish,atm is eating and swiming just like the other 2 female swordtails that i have...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom