fighting pictus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

courtnee

Aquarium Advice Freak
My two spotted pictus are fighting with each other. The smaller one is beating up the one that is a little bigger. The bigger one is not hiding in his usual spot and seems stressed out. These are the two that have always been together. The newer set are not involved in it at all.

I did a water change tonight. My ammonia is zero, nitrIte is 0, nitrAtes are 10

I am going to head to Walmart and buy another larger log and see if that helps. Since that is all that is open.

What would cause this? Any ideas?

Perhaps just a quarrel for territory. I noticed mine do this when I added another in. They fought for a few days, nothing too serious, then I noticed one got evicted from it's hiding spot. :) They are fine now. Another hiding spot will probably solve the problem.

Well they are still doing it, but not near as much. The biger one does not seem stressed anymore like he was. He is still swimming along the glass at the bottom belly to the outside of the tank just back and forth. This is a sign of stress to me because normally they spend more time swiming on the bottom. When stressed is when I see them do this. Also the constant opening of the mouth "talking" as I call it is a sign of stress. When they are happy they to not do that. He was doing it bad the other night when I posted.

Yesterday and today has gotten better. He is not "talking" and not swimming so stressed out as he was. He is eating well and starting to play again a little. They are still fighting but not as often and as bad as they were.

I have seen some improvement.

Thats good. Hopefully it will continue to get better after they work out their issues. It took mine a few days but they chilled out and now they don't bother each other at all.

Back
Top Bottom