Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheresaMcmurrough

Aquarium Advice Regular
I turned off my filter to feed my fish and forgot to turn it back on. It was off all night. I just did a major water change. Did all my hood bacteria die? Will I be starting a new fish in cycle? I turn it off because the filter blows the food around and they can't get it. There is much less waste and clean up if I turn it off. Help!

Mumma.of.two said:
Did the media stay wet? If so it should be fine. Just test a little more frequently over the next week or so.

It is a side tank filter, so no. None of the filter media was in the water.

Ok if it dried out you may experience a mini cycle. It could pass in a few days or weeks. It depends how much bacteria was killed of. What you'll need to do is keep a close eye on parameters and change the water as needed to keep ammonia and nitrite to a minimum.

Mumma.of.two said:
Ok if it dried out you may experience a mini cycle. It could pass in a few days or weeks. It depends how much bacteria was killed of. What you'll need to do is keep a close eye on parameters and change the water as needed to keep ammonia and nitrite to a minimum.

Thank u for the reassurance. I was so scared I was going to have to do a fish in cycle. I am fully stocked and would hate to have to start over. The bio filter was dry but the inner filters were a little damp so hopefully everyone will make it through this little hiccup!

Mumma.of.two said:

I'm very happy with all my fish so Im a little overprotective. Thank you for the reassurance.

Back
Top Bottom