Filter and parasites question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smittyjr18

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so i'm going to get a 18 watt UV Sterilizer. I have a 55 gal tank and from what i read i want to address algae and parasites so i could only pass about 100 GPH through the UV filter. I'm looking to add a fluval 104 which does about 125 GPH. I already have a Magnum 350 Pro system on there and it is working great.

I also want to lower my PH and hardness. I don't want to use chemicals at all because of the bouncing that can come from using them. I want to use peat moss, but what type and where can i get it? Can i go to HD and pick up a large amont? What shoud i look for when buying?

In my last post i believe that i lost a golden ram due to internal parasites. His poo was clear/white. I have 3 more blue rams right now and i think that one of them also has the problem. Does internal parasites spread from fish to fish or does it just stay with the host fish? My tank prems are ok my nitrate is about 40 PPM and i'm going to be working on that issue, but everything else is ok. My temp is about 80- 82. I'm looking at buying some Jungle medicated food and trying that to see if i can stop this issue. Any suggestions?

German Rams are sometimes wild caught and those that are not wild caught are often times treated with hormone injections to increase size, and make for more vibrant colors. Although in these cases the light that burns twice as bright also burns twice as fast. As far as the symptoms your Rams are displaying, that would be indicative of an internal parasite. I would recommend treating it with 250 mg of Metro powder per ten gallons of water, every other day for five days. Metro is very effective in Discus with internal issues and since Discus and Rams like the same water type and conditions, I would assume the Metro would have good success with the Rams.

As far as the UV, you are in line with less gph flow for killing parasites, although a UV is not a cure all for parasites. They are more used for controlling algae in planted aquariums and ponds, also in reef tanks. If your fish are infected with an internal parasite it is very possible all the fish are infected. These spread through consumption of infected fecies, and sadly fish like to eat each other's poo now and then.

The Fluval and Magnum should be more than enough filtration for your 55 gallon tank, although you can never have too much. As far as peat, any bio peat moss will work, normally people just put it in some filter pads or old panty hoes - I have heard peat moss from Canada is of very good quality. Rinse it well though as it may discolor your water.

Back
Top Bottom