Fin repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crazychris

Aquarium Advice Activist
I need some help. I've got a red tail shark with only half of its tail fin. It now has the bottom half of the fin. Is there anything that will make it grow back?

Do you know what happened to him? I would start by addressing the cause so no further injuries occur. Whether the fin will grow back fully will depend on how badly it's damaged. The best thing for him is lots of healthy water and a good diet. Just keep an eye out for any signs of infection. Please ask if you have questions!

I know it's not fin rot. My water is fine with all the water tests. I just think it got bitten off. Poor thing has only half of its tail left. I hope it grows back but it seems to be moving around at normal speed so that leads me to that result. I just wish I could get a picture of the fish but it won't sit still long enough.

Just do some extra water changes while he is healing to keep the water super healthy. As fish are quite adaptable, even if his fin does not fully grow back, he will adjust to his handicap without an issue. I would put some thought into the fish you presently have stocked in order to address who is doing the attacking before their is more injury to this or other fish.

Thank you for the advice. I really appreciate it. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to put a chemical into their water to make it heal or grow back. I'm hoping that it grows some of it back soon. I've got no idea to what fish in my tank is big enough to do this kind of damage.

Back
Top Bottom