fin rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tillett

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

im new to the hobbie and think i have made my first mistake, had my tank running about a month and was fine, i have 2 mollys in there and 3 platys, i got my self 6 tetras yesterday was in a rush and didnt really check them over proply got them in my tank and the fins are ragged and 2 are missing half of there fin, there is also some white dots on them,

What should i do? need help
thanks

first off water changes daily for the fin rot . Second I would think that your fish may have ick. I suggest raising the temp to 86 degrees. You can also try melaflix for the fin rot.

Raising the temp will work for the ich, which is what those white dots are. Raise it 1 degree every 6-8 hours, until it gets to 86*, and leave it there for 10 days.
For the fin rot, as long as there is no white fungus on it, you can just keep the water super clean and it should heal up on it's own. Fin rot is usually black around the edges. By clean waterI mean 2-3 pwc's a week instead of one.
Is your tank cycled?

How much water change would you do a day 25%? Yes the tank has cycled and the other fish have been fine till I got these, would it be worth getting some stuff for it or just keep the water changes? Thanks

As long as there is no fungus, which would be white or cottony, then the clean water should heal them up. You can do 2-3 25% water changes a week, and they should heal up nicely. :) You could get some Stress Zyme with aloe, and it's always good to have Melafix and Pimafix on hand.

Okay they are just some small White dots all over the fish, they still seem happy tho swimming around fine, okay will see how it goes I started turning the temp up last night and today :) thanks alot

Back
Top Bottom