Fin rot!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishlove

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My small orando has fin rot! It's got pretty bad but it hasn't reached the body yet! It has all the symptoms! Well I'm not at home but I have left them with my mum! She said she will go to the pet shop and try and get the treatment tomorrow! I'm just worried that the shop might not sell it! And how long do u think they would live with it without the treatment!?!? And will they sell it in a small pet shop??
Thanks

Its hard saying how long they will live its best not to try to push it. Some small places here where I live ohio don't Cary the good stuff just cheap stuff ive never heard of before and if I may add never had much luck with. Keep in mind they will try to get you to buy it I had a store once try to get me to buy a med one timewhen I asked for a certain type and they didn't carry it. But looked on their service cart and there was a big jug of what I wanted. I pointed it out to the guy they don't even use the stuff they are trying to sell so sell me that stuff Lol they didn't.
I almost always go with mardel products

Yeah it's just that's the only thing Is that's the only place we can get to soonish so hopefully they will sell at least something to keep him going till we can get the good stuff!! He's had it for a while but I spoke to the guy where I got them from and he said the tail will grow back! Useless!! But I'm just worried! He's still eating and swimming a bit but will then kinda sit at the bottom or in the corner like it's in pain!

You need to address the reason this has happened in the first place because your going to continue to have problems. Three fancies in a 6gallon tank does not work. Fin rot is the result of poor water quality in too small of a tank. Until you can fix your tank & water issues, there is no medicine in the world that is going to help. Meds are ineffective if the water quality is unhealthy.

The tail should grow back after the meds and after you figure out what caused it. I try to keep from buying sick fish but sometimes I do cause I feel bad for them.Lol but I don't put them with my other fish till they have got better.

The guy at the pet shop said that one of the fish needs about 5l each and I have a 24l and that is fine! The guy seemed to no what he was talking about and said that treatment can solve it! But the tank doesn't look to small for the fish! They are really tiny fish and have lots of room!

Yeah I know as a man at a different pet shop said these fish get the most problems! It's annoying they didn't tell me this when I brought them! I guess they just try to sell you anything for ur money -_- lol

jlk said:
You need to address the reason this has happened in the first place because your going to continue to have problems. Three fancies in a 6gallon tank does not work. Fin rot is the result of poor water quality in too small of a tank. Until you can fix your tank & water issues, there is no medicine in the world that is going to help. Meds are ineffective if the water quality is unhealthy.

+1
If the poor water quality is addressed you don't need medications to treat. The tail will grow back with just clean water and a little salt. As said, throwing meds at this isn't going to work. It's like someone that gets hay fever and they keep taking medication for it. Their house is full of dust, mould and has flowering plants all around it. The mediation might work in the short term but the problem will persist until the house is cleaned and kept clean.

Fishlove said:
! I guess they just try to sell you anything for ur money -_- lol

Prime example

Fishlove said:
The guy at the pet shop said that one of the fish needs about 5l each and I have a 24l and that is fine!

Your fish are tiny babies. Fancy goldfish get BIG. almost 30cm long is looked after correctly.

Yeh but the thing is I'm not even there to look after them I'm away at my Nans and my mum is just feeding them and is going to get the treatment! But you know the salt u put in....does it have to be proper aquarium salt!?! And what does it do???

Fishlove said:
Yeh but the thing is I'm not even there to look after them I'm away at my Nans and my mum is just feeding them and is going to get the treatment! But you know the salt u put in....does it have to be proper aquarium salt!?! And what does it do???

If your not there its now your mums responsibility to change their water. It doesn't matter if it's you or your mum getting the treatment the result is the same. It's easy to just throw money at tanks for 'quick fix' medications but quite a lot of the time they do nothing. Especially if the cause isn't addressed.
Any salt that is just plain salt can be used. As long as it has no additives like iodine or anti-caking agents it's fine to use. Using salt in conjunction with water changes is the standard fin rot treatment. 1 tablespoon per 5gallons/20Litres of tank water. You have to dissolve it in a cup of tank water and add 1/4 of the dose every 12 hours. Salt does not evaporate. It will only be removed by water changes. If you changed 50% of the water a half dose if salt needs to be added back in with the new water. Salt helps kill any bacteria causing infection and fin rot. It also promotes the fishes slime coat which helps it fight off diseases.

Thanks mumma of two! So if I get her to use the salt and keep the water clean do you think the tail will get better??

Fishlove said:
Thanks mumma of two! So if I get her to use the salt and keep the water clean do you think the tail will get better??

Yes, it should. The problem is with 3 goldfish in 24L is going to be A LOT of hard work to keep the water clean enough to heal this time and prevent in the future. That's why jlk keeps pestering you about tank size.

Yes, because there is going to be even more health issues (or even worse) in the future that are completely avoidable by proper stocking. I am truly sorry that you received such poor advice from your fish store but these fish are now your (and your mom's) responsibility if you choose to keep them. Please google 'goldfish stunting' if you are not familiar with the term so you can learn for yourself what will inevitably happen by trying to keep these guys in this tank. Completely preventable as are the health issues you are dealing with now.

Back
Top Bottom