Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-28-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Fin rot

I have pristine water but there has been alot of stress the last few days read some of my prior posts so my question is what is the best treatment I have some expensive plecos that are affected by it

Old 06-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Could you please type in complete sentences? Your post is confusing running on like that. Are we supposed to read your prior posts to figure out what's wrong with your fish? Could you please post a synopsis here.....

What are your readings?

Tank size? How long ago was tank set up?

What stress?

What other species are in the tank?

Can you post a photo?

75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tank sprung a leak about 6 days ago 120 gallons. I had to put all my fish in a 40 gallon tote while I repaired my tank then had to put the fish in the tank after doing 100% water change but I did keep all filter media wet and all decor went into the tote. So I could keep as much bb as I could. All my tests are reading 0s P.H. is at 7.6 but I noticed my royal pleco and snowball pleco both have ragged fins. I went and bought melafix thats all they really had for fin rot. So I gotta take my carbon out and was curious as to what to do with my magnum 350 canister filter it has the liner and inside the liner is carbon the carbon will come out but my question is do I just take the carbon out and leave the sleeve in the pad whatever it is or should I take it all out and out that paper filter in? I thought I needed to leave that blue liner stuff in there for the bb I am lost??? Also sorry about the grammar never did good in english
Old 06-28-2012, 09:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenphantom
Tank sprung a leak about 6 days ago 120 gallons. I had to put all my fish in a 40 gallon tote while I repaired my tank then had to put the fish in the tank after doing 100% water change but I did keep all filter media wet and all decor went into the tote. So I could keep as much bb as I could. All my tests are reading 0s P.H. is at 7.6 but I noticed my royal pleco and snowball pleco both have ragged fins. I went and bought melafix thats all they really had for fin rot. So I gotta take my carbon out and was curious as to what to do with my magnum 350 canister filter it has the liner and inside the liner is carbon the carbon will come out but my question is do I just take the carbon out and leave the sleeve in the pad whatever it is or should I take it all out and out that paper filter in? I thought I needed to leave that blue liner stuff in there for the bb I am lost??? Also sorry about the grammar never did good in english
Look at the tail of the royal and look at the spine fin on the nugget
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120628_202514.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	103423   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120628_202536.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	103424  

Old 06-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenphantom

Look at the tail of the royal and look at the spine fin on the nugget
They are the only two I can see right now showing signs of it
Old 06-28-2012, 10:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

No one
Old 06-29-2012, 09:32 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

What test kit are you using? You should have nitrate readings.

I can definitely see why they are stressed with all that moving around.

For the fin rot, just try some clean water. I would do water changes, 50%, every other day. Add some Garlic Guard or Vita-Chem to their food (soak food in it). That will help build their immune system. Clean water is the best fix for fin rot unless there are underlying issues.

I can't help with your filter, as I've not heard of that sleeve you refer to. I don't use carbon. Many fishkeepers don't.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
Old 06-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok I have the api master test kit and it has read 0s on everything except p.h. since I got it I follow the directions to the T do you think it could be faulty(the test kit)? I started treating the tank with melafix it says to treat 7 days and so a 25% water change on last day. I did this before your response I did not wanna loose any fish my snow ball is looking pretty bad his back fin is red now. Should I do the water changes even with the meds in and just redose when I do the water changes?
Old 06-29-2012, 02:40 PM   #9
come get me tang police!

I'd be doing lots of big water changes, that doesn't look good at all. Are you sure that this tote didn't leach anything? I've always used salt to treat fin rot, I've never treated plecos this way though, so I suggest digging around to see what others have used on theirs.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:47 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

It was a clear plastic rubber maid tote and these seem to be the only 2 affected by it and you think I should do these large water changes with meds in in it? The directions say treat for 7 days then do a 25% water change I have had fish for years the only sickness I ve had over the years is ich so I dont know what to do
Old 06-29-2012, 02:51 PM   #11
come get me tang police!

Melafix/Pimafix are just herbal remedies, not actual medications. I wouldn't put much faith in them. And fresh clean water through water changes is far more important than keeping a certain level of melafix in the tank.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:51 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

When you test for nitrates, you have to bang and bash the reagent bottle on a table or countertop. Otherwise, it crystalizes and you get false readings.

Bash it, and test again.

Do the water changes. Your fish are suffering.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaB
When you test for nitrates, you have to bang and bash the reagent bottle on a table or countertop. Otherwise, it crystalizes and you get false readings.

Bash it, and test again.

Do the water changes. Your fish are suffering.
so water changes and add the melafix or just water changes and no melafix?
Old 06-29-2012, 07:23 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

I tested again and did what one of the op told me to do and shake and bang test solution I am still getting 0s on everything except ph 7.6

Tags
fin, fin rot, rot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com