Fin rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pongeer247

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am currently treating for ick with temperature raised to 86 F. After starting the treatment I noticed that my fish may have fin rot. I did some research last night and my conclusion is that they do.
My stock:
2 AD FROGS
4 card tets
2 fancy guppies
5 guppy fry(will be re-homed soon)
The only water param that I have at the moment is ammo-0, as my daughter thought it would be a good idea to squirt my test kit into the sink. Should have a new test kit with in the week.
The tank is a 10 gallon.

My question right now is, do I go ahead and treat for the fin rot while treating for the ick? And if so which meds would be the best for the procedure? Or should I wait till I'm done treating for ick?

Some salt might help too ..Idk how the fry and frogs will take to that though..not familiar with that.

I couldn't find anything on whether the frogs would be ok through this process, so I'm going ahead with it and if I see any changes with them I'm going to bring the temp back down. So far they are doing good. The fry will be moved out here this week. They will be going to the lfs to be relocated

I couldn't find anything on whether the frogs would be ok through this process, so I'm going ahead with it and if I see any changes with them I'm going to bring the temp back down. So far they are doing good. The fry will be moved out here this week. They will be going to the lfs to be relocated

Ok, best of luck!

I would like to go back to my question about the fin rot though. Should I medicate for It now or wait for the ick treatment to be done?

The best medicine that is readily avaliable is minocycline (maracyn-2) follow directions and use for full treatement even if they appear better. I usually reccomend kanamycin and oxytetracycline both of which are best used in food. But these can be hard to find you should just go with the maracyn-2 or even a maracyn 1+2 for full coverage. an 8 pack should do in your case. And i would lower the temperature back to 72F because bacteria spread faster at higher temps. Doing a big water change to lower bioload helps alot first too.

Ill be waiting on the meds for a week or so since im doing 50% wc every other day, but when I get to that point I will look into it thanks!

New question though. With the eat raised to 86 F, will that help with the fin rot as well?

I believe i already answered that. "And i would lower the temp back to 72 because bacteria spread faster at higher temps"
You have a fridge right?
Dosen't it make sense that we keep food cold to inhibit bacterial growth, that it would be the same in the aquarium.

I believe i already answered that. "And i would lower the temp back to 72 because bacteria spread faster at higher temps"
You have a fridge right?
Dosen't it make sense that we keep food cold to inhibit bacterial growth, that it would be the same in the aquarium.

Sorry missed that last part of your reply. No need to be so harsh. It was a question. Just concerned in the fact I'm battling ick as well that's all.

You have a fridge right?

The temp helps with stress..fin rot is also caused by stress (lowered immune system) and then the bacteria that causes fin rot and be introduced to that fish. So it's really up to you..

Thanks! I will most likely look into meds if things don't look better after the ick treatment.

Once again thanks!

Back
Top Bottom