Fin rot!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason6942

Aquarium Advice Activist
Plz help I have now determined that one of my fish have fin rot. He is missing all of his back fin and what looks like both front swim fins :( I feel so bad for the little guy. What should I do and is my tank infected.

More information is needed. From the sticky at the top of the forum:

Answer these Qs to ensure we have as much information as possible about your ailing fish and its environment:

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

The solution to fin rot is clean water (0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, <20ppm nitrates). No meds needed. In time, the fins will heal by themselves. Keep doing water changes and you'll be fine.

The solution to fin rot is clean water (0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, <20ppm nitrates). No meds needed. In time, the fins will heal by themselves. Keep doing water changes and you'll be fine.

+1 But I would like to add, when the fin rot progresses to a point where it has eaten the fin away to nearly nothing then imho it is time to try a broad spectrum antibiotic such as maracyn plus.

Yeah ill have to try that cause his are pretty bad. I think I might do a complete water change and wash or rinse all my decor cause all and I mean all(ph, high range ph, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite) are super high and I'm scared of losing everything. I was gonna change and "start over" this time use prime(that's the brand name)water conditioner and hope for the best. What do y'all think

Don't wash and restart. Fin rot isn't a terribly contagious infection. It will end up doing more harm than good. Would you mind posting a pic of the fish?

There you go. What about my parameters

Attachments

• image-1755164434.jpg
    image-1755164434.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 41
  • image-747454637.jpg
    image-747454637.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 36
When you have any ammonia or nitrite readings at all you need to do a water change asap. If the nitrate readings are above 40ppm then it is also time for a water change. I would suggest at least 2 50% water changes with waiting an hour inbetween them. Test your levels again and see where they are at.

With the fishes tail that low it would be a good idea to look at using a quarantine tank and antibiotic or else it might be damaged beyond repair.

Yeah I got him quarintined ill get some meds tommorrow. Ill do some water changes tommorrow to. Thanks. Your saving the day again lol

Back
Top Bottom