Fin rot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelly5978

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My angelfish's top fin has 4 points sticking out of it, as if she lost some fin, and the bones, or spines, or whatever are still there. She acts fine, but clamps the top fin only sometimes. I am trying to figure out if it is fin rot, due to too hard water, or what? Ammonia-0, nitrites-0, nitrates-10, ph-7.8. There was ammonia of .25 the other day, but it was gone in 1 day. Help if you can! I am trying to link pics here, but if it doesn't work, they are posted under my profile, title-problems. Thanks!

Some angels are bred to have that. Pictures would be nice,just to confirm, but 3 out of my 6 angels have that. It's is perfectly healthy and normal.

Kinda like this? I apologize for the bad shots. My angels are not very cooperative tonight :(

It should be spread out like the white ones, but jagged like the gold one. Is that how it looks?

Attachments

• image-2672083519.jpg
    image-2672083519.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 67
  • image-3995383902.jpg
    image-3995383902.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 60
I can't figure out how to post pics in threads, but they're in my profile album labeled "problems". Your angels are beautiful. Mine didn't always have the sticking out points, and they healed after a water change. Ammonia was .25 and probably the problem. Or the hardness of my water (a constant issue). Thank you tho!

That seems to be the natural fin shape. Angels sometimes clamp them and keep it that way for long periods of time. I wouldn't be surprised if you've never seen it do that before.

As far as I can see, it seems normal, but if you're really concerned, you can QT and treat your fish with Melafix.

And thanks for the comment about the angels:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom