Fin rot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meclem3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm not sure if this is the beginning of fin rot or not. The first picture is from September 9 and the second is from today, September 17. The edges of his tale seem to be becoming increasingly thinner and clear.
I am doing partial water changes about every 6 days. He is in a 3.5 gallon tank with a filter and heater at approximately 79°-80°F.
If it is fin rot, what should I do?

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 452.jpg
    FullSizeRender 452.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 101
  • FullSizeRender 451.jpg
    FullSizeRender 451.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 125
Start with more water changes. What could be causing stress?

It's his reflection.

Indeed, he is quite stressed I believe. The poor guy is constantly swimming around the glass and charging his reflection. I have tried so many different things. I have tried putting a black t-shirt over the tank, a white t-shirt, a book with flowers on the front by his tank, different lighting positions and levels, and most recently a rag on the side of the tank. The rag seems to calm him down a little bit but he still will do these frantic movements when he is at the front of the tank or near the wall. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Yes, I now know that with a rounded tank the light doesn't come in at good angles and creates a mirror effect. I don't know what to do for the poor guy. Some people have suggested getting a black background from the store on the back while others have said white.
What should I do?

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 454.jpg
    FullSizeRender 454.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 93
  • FullSizeRender 446.jpg
    FullSizeRender 446.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 96
  • FullSizeRender 455.jpg
    FullSizeRender 455.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 90
There is a filter and I keep the flap used to drop pellets in open in order to keep oxygen flowing into the tank. There is no air pump in the tank.

Gotcha, stress is a killer. Seems to me he is in territorial mode. I think solve that with more water changes

how are constantly fluctuating water parameters gonna reduce stress?
If the tank is cycled, no need to change water unless nitrates rise abouve 40-60ish

I know it's a small tank but have you thought about adding a few tiny fish such as Zebra fish to distract your glass surfing betta. They might work as dither fish to distract the Betta from his own reflection. Just a thought.

I don't think your Betta is fast enough to catch a healthy zebra fish. Even if he gets lucky, zebras cost about a buck apiece, Some times two for a dollar. If you choose Zebras, buy four or five so they won't get nippy.

Just a thought here; in order to rule out the tank being a contributing factor to the aggression, you may want to put him in a different tank and see how he behaves. My betta, also has what I believe to be the same condition as yours, but he is a normal acting happy fish. I did not know about the medications to treat this so, thank you, forum contributors.

Perhaps not fin rot.

I mentioned that my betta, his name is Fish, had the same thing happen. At first I was concerned but decided to watch it. It progressed to a point like your pictures and stopped. Again, he is a healthy, happy Fish. I wonder if this is normal aging for a betta. I noticed that your buddy's issue is very uniform just like Fish's is. I would expect to see something different with fin rot. Perhaps this just naturally occurs when they get older and bigger. Fish is about 3 times the size from when I got him out of that tiny cup. Of course, I am no expert. Just wanted to share my experience with this.

I don't think your Betta is fast enough to catch a healthy zebra fish. Even if he gets lucky, zebras cost about a buck apiece, Some times two for a dollar. If you choose Zebras, buy four or five so they won't get nippy.
Just... no. It's a 3.5g, so already stocked, zebra can be nippy and need at least a 20g because they seriously like to swim, and like cooler water, so would not do well in the temps bettas need.

I think he just needs more time to settle, I'd add a few more plants to break up sight lines any reflections.

Back
Top Bottom