Fin rot in bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mighty mouse

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi i just rescued a male betta when i got him he had sever fin rot hes in a 5 gallon tank right now but im going to be putting him in a 10 gallon eventually but any ways the first night i got him he ate which i thought was odd because they usually hide or wont eat for a couple of days hes about 9 months old i was told any ways i felt so bad for him i put tetra all in one in his tank and the next day i went up to feed him he ate again and he had made a bubble nest so right then i new he was really happy to be here i figure he must of been in with other fish cause water was cold and it was kind of cloudy so today is day 3 with the treatment and aquarium salt and almond leaves he looks alot better already but i think he also has fungus so he has 2 more days with this treatment then im going use methylene blue on him to kill the fungus better i have 5 aquariums right now i only have bettas i have 3 males and 3 females right now and 5 females on thier way from thialand im excited for them to come i just started this hobby im on disability i had to retire from my career from being a dog groomer for over 30 years i was in a car accident and can no longer work im very good with animals had them all my life my house is full of them and always will be ive been doing lots of research on bettas and i really love them.

Glad the little new guy is getting better.

You likely already know that daily water changes will help him be his best in time to recover from the fin rot.

For help in recovering, I also like to use Epsom Salts - Magnesium sulfate (not really a salt).

You can start with plain Epsom Salts and mix 1 tsp per gallon to start. Dissolve in warm or hot water for the tank, treat with dechlorinator after making room /tank temp. add into tank 1/4 portion every ~8 hours. Then just make up a concentrate to use when you do a water change. Add that total of 1 tsp. per gallon.

I will use up to a tablespoon per gallon. Then if the Betta seems like he is doing well with the Epsom salts and fins still need help, I would increase the amount to the total of 1 TBL per gallon for 7-14 days.

If needed a bit longer, but then just reduce in water changing down to 1tsp. per gallon and keep 1 tsp total per gallon for another couple weeks.

Same way decrease the amount buy doing water changes as usual and see how he is.

Maybe in a month fins will be nicely growing back!

At any time along the way medicating may be warranted. Treat if needed, whatever is in his best interests.

Back
Top Bottom