Fin Rot Lasting for 1 Year on Corydoras...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kitling

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought an albino cory at a Petsmart about a year ago. He wasn't in the best condition, but I figured that once he went into a good tank, he would eventually heal up.

Well, I've had this particular cory for about 1 year now, and he is not getting any better. His fins, especially his tail, are torn and not healing. His poor barbels/whiskers are completely gone. However, he never appears to be hurting and he is actually THE most active cory I have (swims around all day and night, I can rarely catch him sleeping). And he must be eating somehow, even with his mouth like that.

I've tried doing more water changes and I've tried Melafix (it says it treats fin rot). I always had sand on the floor of the tank and no sharp objects to cut his barbels. I have other corydoras, neon tetras, and a pleco in the tank, but none of them have any fin rot at all.

I figure at this point he might be scarred permanently, but is there anything else I can try? I'd really love to help the little guy...

Tank: 20g
pH: 7.8
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 15ppm
Temp: 78 F

I wonder if you put him in a bare bottom tank in QT that it might give him a chance to slow down and heal. The tattered fins are odd to go so long, do they heal and rip again?

Back
Top Bottom