Fin Rot leading to fungal/bacterial growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been treating my betta for a while for a stubborn case of fin rot.

He has had Kanaplex/Furan2

Maracyn/Maracyn II

Kanaplex/Furan2 again with added salt (1tsp per gallon) and methelyne blue baths.

These treatments have been over the past 2 mos (maybe 3). I recently finished up the Kanaplex/Furan2 and salt. His tank has transitioned back to fresh water with water changes every other day.

Yesterday he had a fuzzy growth on his tail but it was tiny and broke off. This morning he has a little fuzz again where ideally he would be growing new fins and a fuzzy patch further down on some of his remaining tail fins.

I am hesitant to treat the water again with meds but will if it will help. I'm debating using a Jungle Fungus to cover the fungus side of things.

Any advice? His water parameters are clean and the temp is 80.

Thanks

Sorry to hear this, are you able to post a picture it would help these guys in identifying what is the problem

How many gallons is he in?

My guy got better when I put him in a 30 gallon sterility contained with his regular filter and heater and some safe plastic plants and caves an floating "lids" to provide cover. I tripled his water volume and added a bit of salt, kept temp at 80-83 and he healed over a few weeks and grew his tail a little

I'm not saying our cases are all that similar, my guy but his tail and the edges turned red. No fuzz. He also was treated for internal parasites at the same time, so I avoided medication for his fin problem

He is in 5. I can go as big as 10 (20 if necessary but I would have to rehome other fish.

What is sterility contained?

These are the best pics I would get. Tempted to try Maroxy since I've been through so many anti bacterial treatments. Of course this showed up after his treatments so I'm not sure yet.

Attachments

• image-2608093092.jpg
    image-2608093092.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 68
  • image-3109873551.jpg
    image-3109873551.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 159
As the poor thing. I know others will ask but what are your water parameters and if you can put him in a bigger I would. Mines in a 20 and loves swimming about

Auto correct messed up my whole post

"Sterilite" is a brand of Tupperware plastic storage tubs. Here is Marshall's hospital tank, he liked the loft in the handles. This one was an emergency purchase, I didn't spend a fortune. Now I have a supersize 30gallon tub and a whisper40i filter, like the whisper10i in that photo they are good for weak Bettas because the flow is easy to block or slow with sponges or headbands

Attachments

• image-4141311033.jpg
    image-4141311033.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 74
Last time I put him in a 10 gallon he didn't like it. So I got him a 5. If it will make him better but I don't want to freak him out.

Water parameters are fine ammonia and nitrites are 0, nitrates are 0-5 and pH is 7.4 temp 80.

My betta was getting fin rot I used melafix and that cleard up noticably in 2 days

Ok if it freaked him before then don't stress him. Please don't use melafix it's not suitable for bettas as the tea tree oil damages the labyrinth organ, hopefully someone else will chip in soon with some advice. For now I would suggest keeping your water super clean as he's been through alot of anti biotics

My biggest concern is the fuzz. The fin rot may or may not have stopped. It looks like the last part of his tail that was affected by the fin rot is falling off. Not sure if that is improvement but there is no new rot.

After all the Meds I'm focussing on clean water and tempted to do an anti fungal since it could be a fungus. Other than that I'm at a dead end and crossing my fingers.

His salt was at 1 tap per gallon for 2 weeks I'm hesitant to leave it up for too long.

Back
Top Bottom