Fin rot or nipped fins?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NigelK8485

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got home this morning and noticed while feeding that one of my Australian rainbows has some extremely tattered fins. I don't see any white outlines to suggest fin rot but wasn't sure if maybe it had progressed too much to be able to notice them. Usually when swimming around there are occasional little chases and nips but I've never seen anything relentless enough to cause this damage.

150 gallons, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates ~10 ppm. He's the only fish exhibiting anything less than perfect fins, eating fine and seems healthy overall.

Just treated him with a quick light methylene blue dip and now he's in a QT container in the main tank. Contemplating adding a little API aquarium salt.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421675477.673632.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421675486.440776.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I had thought nipped. I've just never had fast fin rot though - I can always trace it back to warning signs. Any fish in there that could cause it?

I had thought nipped. I've just never had fast fin rot though - I can always trace it back to warning signs. Any fish in there that could cause it?

My guess would be the other rainbows. I have 11 rainbows but due to limited availability it's split between turquoise, Australian, and boesemani. They all school together but maybe the different groups are picking on each other a little bit. I gave him a salt bath, did a water change and put him back in the tank. Haven't seen anyone mess with him.

EDIT:
Okay wow you know about methylene, there goes my advice
You can keep fish in methylene for as long as you want too, just gotta do frequent PWC in the hospital tank or tub whatever. I dont think a "quick light dip" is gonna be effective enough. I use that stuff for a week straight and my fish have completely recover from completely shreadded fins in the past. Salt will help too, as would an antibiotic if you have one on hand.

EDIT:
You can keep fish in methylene for as long as you want too, just gotta do frequent PWC in the hospital tank or tub whatever. I dont think a "quick light dip" is gonna be effective enough. I use that stuff for a week straight and my fish have completely recover from completely shreadded fins in the past. Salt will help too, as would an antibiotic if you have one on hand.

I was in the middle of my workout when I put him in so it ended up being a 45 minute soak. I'll check him out tomorrow and see if I think he needs another round and look at keeping him in there for a few days.

EDIT:

How dark should the methylene blue water be? When I watched a video on YouTube it showed the color he used, but he only left his fish in for 15 minutes. When I followed the directions on the bottle of the methylene the water was such a dark blue that I couldn't even see my fish in it.

Back
Top Bottom