Fin rot or nipping?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

btweak6

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently bought a guppy from a store. The tank was full of males, most of one color and tail pattern, all of them had ragged tails, pic below. There were maybe two or three of another different pattern and their tails were fine. I figured it was just the males picking on each other and fin nipping. Well, I bought one but looking into fish diseases now, I'm wondering if this may be fin rot. I've seen pictures of it but my fish doesn't have white fuzzy edges or any other problems, it looks more like that may be the way his tail is. He has been happy, swimming and eating just fine, he looks a lot more relaxed since he isn't in a tank with a bunch of males. Is it possible that some guppies have tail patterns like this or it's just fin nipping or tail rot? Thank you so much.

Attachments

• DSCN4211.JPG
    DSCN4211.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 5,018
i suspect fin nipping keep up with good water frequent pwc and he should be good to go. if things go south mabye pick up some melaflax and start doseing per instructions on the bottle

Thanks for the reply. You know, now that I look at him more under brighter light, I'm really wondering if he has some odd swordtail/fantail mutation...err deformity. In that pic his tail was up but when he swims around, that bottom piece is pointed down and is longer than the rest of the tail. Also the colors of the tail are a rounded yellow with black spots followed by a white outline of the yellow. Then the rest of the tail is white with a perfect black outline of the ragged tail...almost like it's supposed to look like that on purpose. Idk, I guess only time will tell.

yes time will only tell kind of does sound like a mutation if your concerned you could dose melafix its all natural so there's no ill side affects

I just found out he is a crown tail guppy...learn something new everyday :). At least I don't have to worry if his tail will get better lol.

Lol, I was just about to says that but you beat me to it. He is a VERY handsome guppy btw. Crowntails are hard to find around here.

Back
Top Bottom