Fin Rot or No???? please help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apollo6626

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone, I had a case of fin rot (or i think it is at least) and have been treating it with API Furan-2. It is this last day of medication and the white edges on the fins haven't gone away. Now im wondering if that is just new growth? The white hasn't gone away in 4 days of medication. On one angel, it looks like it is all over his tail fin, and one big streak of it on his body, so i'm really not sure.

Can anyone help me?

usually fin rot causes the fins to have black edges, white edges from my experience means it's growing back....However, a picture would be best, I'm interested to see how it looks, especially the mark on the body sounds interesting. The best cure for fin rot is to do large daily water changes.

Yea ive been doing 25%, its in a 55 gal. But there is not black at all. i really dont know what this is then. Ill try for pictures, i don't have that great of a quality of a camera.

Not good quality but the best i can do, as you can see there is the white in the middle of the tail, and you can kind of see the white streak in the middle of the body.

Do you have any fin nippers in the tank? Or even ghost shrimp? I came home one day and a ghost shrimp had caught one of my poor Molly's and was snacking on his nail. Luckily I got him free and the Molly lived on.

If it is fin rot. I would remove the fish(s) if possible to a hospital tank. And just a lot of water changes. Clean water is key.. Also add a tea spoon of some good quality aquarium salt to help fight off any infections in the water.. Good luck.

No nippers, these guys rule the tank. Ive been doing alot of changes but i dont want to add salt because i have snails.

OH , well ill salt it then. I have heard that the salt will kill them. I am on a schedule now as to fix these mysterious dots, do a 30% change daiily, ill get salt tomorrow. it should help/

OH , well ill salt it then. I have heard that the salt will kill them. I am on a schedule now as to fix these mysterious dots, do a 30% change daiily, ill get salt tomorrow. it should help/

Snails only are affected in large doses so I've read and experienced. Gl my friend.

Back
Top Bottom