Fin rot?? Ulcer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verochloeedgar

Aquarium Advice Regular
Fin rot?
Hi everyone! I think my goldfish has fin rot but may not be that. I had him for 6 months or so, lives in a 75 L -20gal with another small oranda and my water parameters are always very good (ammonia nitrites 0, nitrates 20ppm) with 70% water changes weekly. I noticed a hole in the end of his caudal fin that is getting bigger. I have been doing more frequent water changes but keeps getting worse. Any treatment advice? Could I use something topically (like in using a damp cotton wool embedded in iodine and touch that area every day? Do other comercial treatments work? I don’t have a quarantine tank at the moment. Many thanks to everyone!!
IMG_4348.jpgIMG_4344.jpg

I've seen this on a few fish before.
Keep water quality good and make sure it does not get infected. Often this heals itself ,but it may take months. As long as it looks clean just keep up on clean water.
If I were to add anything it would be methylene blue...

I agree with coral, M blue would work better, but melafix is just more convient for some people so im not gonna trash talk it or ppl who use it, clean water is the main thing here, however, 70% may be a bit too much to change at once, 2x a week 40% would be better, shock can cause cadual fins to tear and rip, i raise guppies, seen it a hundred times.

Thank you all. I started doing 50% water changes twice a week and got something at the pet store from AquaCare that contains acriflavime and formaldehyde; used it three times (on each water change) but the hole is getting bigger and bigger everyday.. water parameters were fine before starting treatment. I can try Melafix or salt. Can they be mixed in the tank?? I also have a snail, are they safe for him? I don’t want to do dips as I think I will stress him more . I can try to get Metilen blue but I don’t know form where or how to use it. Is it safe for the filter bacteria and the snail? Thank you so much, I am starting to get really worried!

Back
Top Bottom