Fin rot vs. shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've noticed that my angel and a few other of my fish have rips in their fins.
None of my serpaes,hatchets, or golden barbs have damaged fins
My new panda cory has it in his dorsal fin yet my other two cories don't
One, maybe 2 of my new odessa barbs have a few rips in their back fins (out of 5 barbs)
and my angel has it the worst with gashes in her dorsal as well (her dorsal fin only)

I don't know if its fin rot or if its my red tailed black shark

I spend a lot of time watching my fish and I have never seen him act aggressive towards any of the fish and Ive seen him and my angel swim side by side on several occasions.. and he doesn't mess with her

Any opinions?

I've never had it on this large of scale, but on 2 occassions I've had my largest black fin shark chase the smaller one(s) to the point of exhaustion and fin fraying.

Once seperated from each other, the smaller one would always get better.

However that was always only with 2-3 fish (including the aggressive one) in the tank. If you have that many fish with frayed fins I would assume it's more than just stress, but it may be the red tail being aggressive.

Have you ever tried watching the fish in the dark? You have probably heard this before, but I have always read that the fish can actually tell when they are being watched, and act differently than they do at night. 8O

-brent

PS- An FYI... my aggressive black fin will always swim side by side with the tank mates. They swim in sync and it's very beautiful... but then it turns into her chasing them until they can't take it anymore and begin to "break down" ... starting with the fraying fins.

hmmmm
its just weird only a handful have frayed fins

I was thinking about QT and letting them heal and putting em back and see what happens

Back
Top Bottom