Fin rought

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crb530

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok so i am having a problem with one of my chilid it looks like ether fine wrought or he was attacked badly his tail is missing a peace all the way to the base of the tail. it looks like its getting worse and i havent seen any one attack him so what does fin wrought look like.

IME fin rot usually has black edges. If it was bitten off then you may see some blood around the edges.
The best way to help them grow their fins back, and not get an infection, is clean water. You can buy some Strezz-zyme too, the one with aloe that says "promotes tissue regeneration".
If it is too far down to the base, it may never grow back.

well there is blood around the base so i thing it was a bit

im really scared im going to loose the fish just because he isnt swimming right. he is the biggest fish in the tank and the most beautiful so i will be very sad to loose him

its all the way down to the base so i may loose him

Did this happen overnight or something? or did it get that way over a week? month? few months? and yes please list the tank mates.

the tank mates are four other afericans
three clown loaches
one ranbow shark

it happened over night thats y i think its a fight but the fish has been having stress problems and the water is cloudy (dont know why)

its a 60 gallon tank that i moved them into early october from a 37

water is testing fine i dont remeber the numbers off hand i know nitrate was a little high before my water change but its fine now

You may want to separate the fish (hospital/quarantine tank is best) and do lots of water changes... super clean water is the best treatment for a lot of things.

What is "a little high" in regards to nitrate readings? What about ammonia and nitrite? Is your pH stable?

I would probably quarantine the fish and keep the water quality pristine (daily 30-50% water changes, at least)-- if it's an injury, the fish should start to heal. If it gets worse, you may be dealing with an infection, in which case you can begin treatment.

problem is i dont have pumps for my extra tank any more and i think i found the problem another one of my afericans showed up today with chunks missing from his tail and all over his body i think one of the afericans is picking on every one i just noticed today when i feed them he wont let them eat

idk y this happened out of the blue i just rearanged the tank like i do ever water change so no one becomes to dominent

but he lets the loaches eat and the shark so idk whats going on

no, no one is bigger he is the biggest in the tank

im not 100% sure what kind the are they where all hand picked out of a assorted tank at all the lfs

Back
Top Bottom