Finrot in Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishmonger

Aquarium Advice Regular
I believe I have finrot on my dawrf gourami. About 45% of his tail is gone. He lives in a 10 gal with 2 giant danios( juvenile) , 1 tiger barb, and 1 oto. No one else has it. How can I treat this? If I use medication, should I remove the carbon? What other forms of treatment do you suggest? Ammonia is at 0. My ph is 8.4. I did a 25% water change today.

I would take him out if you can and put him in a sperate qt to medicate. I just bought some Maracyn-two for my betta. Normally I would use Melafix, but I guess its not good for their labyrinth organs. How bad is the fin rot? What does it look like? If its not too bad, daily water changes will help a lot.

Well, his tail looks like it's getting eaten away. He eats fine. Doesn't seem sluggish. It really happened fast within a day or 2. Good to know not to use Melafix on him. Would a little salt help? Would salt hurt my other fish such as my oto?

I think I just found the cause of his finrot. I just saw the tiger barb attacking his tail. Is it possible he already had finrot and the barb is attacking him because he sees weakness? I was watching the tank all day yesterday and didn't see him attack him. I don't have another tank to seprerate them. It's real odd because they have been together for over 4 months without this type of fighting.

Hmm, well they definitely need to be separated if another fish is attacking him. His poor little tail wont get the chance to heal if it keeps getting chewed off. If I remember correctly, corys don't do well with salt. If you could even pick up a little five gallon tank with a little heater and filter, I think it would do you a world of good.

Well I checked again and I believe it IS finrot. His top fin seems to be getting a little white as well. What can I do for finrot in a gourami?

Like Meredith says, don't use Melafix, and if you can get a 5 gallon tank to isolate him, that would be best. At the very least, you could get a 2.5 gallon Minibow for a qt tank.You'll need a 25 watt heater, because temperature fluctuations will stress him, and you don't have to worry about any media in the filter -- you just need the filter for water movement, and you should be doing daily water changes in a qt tank anyway. A cheap sponge filter or Whisper internal filter would work. I run my Whisper internal filter empty of media in my qt tank.

Some meds I have had success with for finrot are Maracyn 2, Jungle Fungus Eliminator, Triple Sulfa, and Kanaplex/Kanamycin. Follow the directions for the length of treatment, and if necessary, you can give a second round of treatment.

Well, I put the dwarf gourami in a small 1 gal container to treat him since he started getting picked on by the barb. I treated it with applus anti-fungus. Is this okay? Please help. I don't have a filter for it. Temperature in my house stays about 75 since I live in FL.

Tiger barbs are known for being very nippy. If possible, you really should give it away, it would be much happier in a bigger tank and a group of at least 5 tiger barbs. It could be just the barb that caused this to the gourami's tail.

No I don't think so, because the dwarf gourami would always chase the tiger barb. The tiger barb wouldn't touch him. I saw some white on the tail and the top fin before it started disentegrating, but I guess the tiger barb does sense weakness. I did have 3 of them on there, but I learned my lesson that you need at least 5. He killed the other 2. I don't know of anyone who take him.

Back
Top Bottom