Finrot or Bully bits?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joetoyc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Tank Specs:

46 gallon
Custom 2-gallon external canister filter W/ internal filtration before pump
Nitrates: 5
Nitrites: 0
Ammonia:0
Ph: 7.2
GH: 75
KH: 80-120

Finished fishless cycle last Wednesday, added a Powder Blue Gourami. For first three days he showed no signs of stress or any sickness. On Saturday I added 6 Neon Tetras, the Gourami has be skulking in the bottom of the tank ever since. This morning I noticed that 4 of the Tetra have fins deterioration. One’s is so bad that most of his tail fin is gone. I see no swelling or redness, so I cannot tell if it is finrot they are suffering from or if the Gourami is nipping at them. I know that my Ph is a little high for Neon’s, but I’ve added peat moss to my filter to bring it down. Is finrot contagious, should I quarantine the Tetras? There are two that seem to be doing fine, which is why I’m thinking my Gourami is being a bully. Any advice would be great.

No, its not the gourami doing it.

my Ph is 8.2 and I have neons.

Id QT the ones that got it and then go from there, maybe even a clear pic would help better diagnose it amongst hobbyist but id get a pro's opinions( im sure there are a few here)

I highly doubt its the gourami, mine never did this to any tank mates even bettas.

re

I'll see if I can get good pics tonight. Been doing some research and it sounds like fin rot happens a little more uniformly, the damage i'm seeing is chunky and random. Does your Gourami have a mate or a buddy? Mine seems pretty lonely compared to how he was acting before I introduced the Tetras (he was very active and now he hides). I'm hoping that getting a bigger (than the Tetras), peaceful fish in the tank will draw his attention from the Neons.

My angels fins are growing and they are coming out chunky but there is no fin nipping in my tank, and its not rot because they are growing longer not shrinking.

My gouramis are dead, but I did have 2, they pal'd up and never showed aggression towards any other fish

Back
Top Bottom