Fire eel strangeness again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Troy.m

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I've had my fire eel for about a year and a half now and he's been pretty good for a long while we had a culminaris scare once but that was a while back I've moved him into a 120 gallon in my new apt and he seems to have lost all his dark coloring! Yesterday when I turned on the light Him and almost all my fish were super pale I got scared and did a water change and tried to up the o2 circulation in the tank and checked reading all were fine so I left the lights off and went to work distraught, came home and everyone was fine he was dark all day looked better than ever if say.. Come home from work today and he's in his hide and he's pale again! Is he changing to pale colors because his tube hide is an off grey/white? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1455742689.737673.jpg he still eats any worms he can get his grubby little mouth near and begs for long after they are gone and otherwise seems healthy (side note) my test strips from marine land say my tap what're has no chlorine in it? Would you trust that reading or should I shell out 30 for the master kit

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's not uncommon for fish to go pale during the night, not sure about eels though. Could be him trying to blend with his hide if there's a lack of cover. I'd say if he's otherwise acting and appearing normal, just keep an eye on him. He may still be adjusting to his new surroundings.

Also, I don't believe those test strips test for chloramines, just chlorine. You may still have chloramines in the water so use dechlorinator to be safe. And definitely invest in the master kit. Way more reliable.

Good luck! Hope your eel is okay!

Thanks! I'll keep watch over him haha

Already back to normal color pretty sure it's the light colored hide ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1455752393.370687.jpg

Hi all,

I know this is an old post but I need some help.

I have a fire eel and I have noticed some white parts of skin on it underbelly. It's not White Spot/Ich. It's not harming it as far as I know and it feeding fine.
I just wanted to know if anyone has seen this before or can help to put my mode at rest.

Reading all the post to ask the question, if can help it would be good and put my mind at rest.

I have added a few pictures for you to see.

Thanks if you can help!IMG_3350.JPGIMG_3351.jpgIMG_3352.jpgIMG_3353.jpgIMG_3354.jpg

It's hard to see the pictures but it looks like sever slime coat damage that had ended up being what was wrong with my eel was little scrapes and what not would turn white and the slime coat healed.. if the spots seems to move around and little and appear, disappear then that is most likely what it is and you'll need to rescape and soften sharp edges on his hiding spots.

If it's not slime coat damage it could be something more serious does it look raised? Or does it flake off? Ps sometimes you'll have better luck making a post of your own on monsterfish keeper they have a forum for eels

My eels always stressing me out he had a similar issue to yours as he was younger, which was just him scraping himself, he damaged his nose one rubbing on the glass, he got pop eye in both eyes once and recently had a blockage of the anus that ended up not causing any bloat, they're sensitive fish you need to keep a clean spacious tank, mine uses a pvc tube that I rounded the endges off for a hide. I notice that your tank has a lot of sharp looking rocks and other odd angular things and he might be scraping himself up real bad trying to hide. But I'm no expert. And it would help people when you make a post to add you water and tank parameters.. hope I can help!

Thanks for that Troy.m for the info. So I'll start with my tanks details then. Nitrate, Nitrite and Ammonia all at 0ppm.

It is more then likely slime coat damage the more I look into it now. There are no scares just white bites. I have changed my sharp bits to soft bits now �� It was a blast, as you can see it even looks better I think. I'll keep an eye on it over the next days to see if it goes. He does like a good scratch every now and then but this could be due to heeling. Likely for not white on the face.

Back
Top Bottom