First Sick Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fltcrew21

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a sick fish. It is a juvinile Clown Pleco so is hardly ever seen. I noticed him this morning listless and not hiding behind anything. He wouldn't move when other fish swam by or when I moved in to inspect him with my magnifying glass.

Now this fish has recent history. I posted the amazing story on here a week or so ago. The short story is he was out of the water for 60-90 minutes recently. (search my post if you want the whole story)

When returned to the water, he showed no signs of problems. My wife (who has better eyes than me these day) told me a few days ago that he was missing an eye and he is. We didn't bring him home like that so I think it happened as a result of him being out of the tank for so long but don't know why.

ANYWAY, this one eyed Clown Pleco is sick.

We have an Aqueon 4g cube not being used so I filled it up to 79 degrees, dosed it with prime and PraziPro and scooped him up.

So he is in there now with a bare bottom and 2 pieced of fake decor with the lights off.

I think he is a goner. They hide all the time so I couldn't tell there was anything wrong until I think it is too late!

At least he is out of the tank if he does die.

He is breathing and he is upright but seems grim.

:(

RIP

The Clown Pleco died about an hour after putting him in my other tank.

But I wanted to report that my OTHER Clown was dead 2 days later!!

This one seemed healthy enough although the only activity we have ever seen out of any of them is swimming away from sight when someone enters the room.

I believe they died from starvation! I mean is that possible with wood in the tank?

If anything I believe I am guilty of overfeeding the other fish. I use flakes, bottom pellets and algae wafers (but usually just 1 or 2)

The fish simply will not eat with the lights on so I try to drop an algae wafer or 2 in the tank before I turn the light off.

I know for a fact that the 2 goldfish in the tank peck at these. (HOGS!!!!)

Do you think the GF kept the Clown's from eating? Why didn't they survive on wood alone if necessary? (Mopaini)

To be honest I never would have put the Clowns in the tank to begin with if I had known how much they hide and don't eat algae. :hide:

I'm very sorry that they are gone because it was exciting for any of us to spot one with the lights on.

It's possible that they starved to death. The wood is a part of plecos diets. It aids in digestion. I know that my bristlenose pleco almost needs hand fed because the shubunkin goldfish goes crazy for the algae wafer. It's a constant battle to keep the algae wafer hidden under the driftwood near the bn pleco because the goldfish will literally turn sideways to get under the wood to get the wafer or even better yet... He scoops up gravel in his mouth and spits it under the wood at the wafer until it comes out the other side. Goldfish can be very smart. Feeding the bn pleco an algae wafer is about a half an hour process because of the goldfish.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

TY Gizz

Thanks for that Gizzmo.

There is no doubt you are 100% spot on. I posted a question in another forum on here asking what I may have done wrong with the Plecos and how to avoid it in the future.

I ended up with no information about my Pleco but AA now has a Goldfish water parameters thread and information on the effects of Prime on ammonia.

I very much appreciate hearing from someone who reads the OP's question and ONLY answers when they have something to add related to the post.

I wish that post count was not right next to our screen names!! I think some people consider it a contest and measurement of expertise.

:facepalm:

Haha. Well everyone feels the need to put their two cents in when they see something they think is not right. I know I always want to point out that goldfish cannot survive in a tiny bowl without filtration if I see a question asked with that in it. Sometimes it gets difficult to stay on track. :)
I'm glad I was able to help though. Experience is worth a lot in my opinion. So, I'm glad my goldfish's crazy antics could provide an answer for you.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom