First time dealing with ich-on betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoldfishNewbie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well I read the ich post, but I heard some treatments are dangerous for bettas.
I have a 20 gallon cycled community tank with my betta, 6 neon tetras, and 3 female platies.
I just noticed it today, and only on the betta... I have a couple meds I bought before,just incase, but I dont know what is the safest?
First, should I treat the whole tank, even though I only see it on the betta... just incase I missed it on others?
The water params are good, and the temp is at 80.
The meds I have on hand are aquarium salt, nox-ich, coppersafe, and pimafix
Im scared if I only use aquarium salt it wont work well enough, so how much should I use of whichever you suggest, and do I take out the carbonfilter? I have an aquaclear 20

oh and what would the risks be in treating the whole tank instead of quarantining him? Im just freaking out that they might have it also, but I cant see any... the betta has like 10 spots

i've used melafix for ammonia burns and it works great, but most ppl say as high as the temp can go and salt is all u need!

Ok first of all...deep breath :) second...not to be morbid, but a good rule of thumb is, if one has it, they all have it! Sorry...what I would do is raise the temp in the tank 2-3 degrees a day...which should only be a day or two in your case since it's already up to 80! I've heard salt is fine for bettas, but can't remember how much you should use...I'll look it up and get back to you...but you want to mix it in to PWC water not just dump it in the tank...also increase your pwc's that'll get rid of spores in the water, and try and get as close to your substrate as possible to get it out of there...

Id rather assume they all have it then just guess that one does, and everyone else dies
I read its one tbsp per 5 gallons, does that sound right?

Ok...so I looked up salt, and where I read said the person raised the temp 89F and then used two tablespoons per ten gallons...they also increased the aeration with filter...they kept it like that for 10 days...that's what I came up with

GoldfishNewbie said:
Id rather assume they all have it then just guess that one does, and everyone else dies
I read its one tbsp per 5 gallons, does that sound right?

Yup that's what I just read too :)

That would be a great question for rookie...25-50? I'm not really sure :( sorry...

thanks, Id been on that site before, its just I heard that some meds were too strong for bettas since theyre labyrinth fish? (Im not even sure what that is lol)

GoldfishNewbie said:
thanks, Id been on that site before, its just I heard that some meds were too strong for bettas since theyre labyrinth fish? (Im not even sure what that is lol)

The labyrinth is the organ which allows bettas and gouramis to breath air from surface

So I checked on them all this morning, Pug (the betta) has a few more spots :( everyone else was still fine, I freaked out because I never normally turn the light on at 7:30 (I have messed sleeping patterns, so they normally have the light from 10-8) but when I turned on the light all my neons were pale... I thought they were dying but then I remembered some fish go pale at night... thats the case for neon tetras right? or are they dying? :O (They're getting brighter now)

Back
Top Bottom