First time having ICH need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kate.fry1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi fellow fish lovers!! I have been keeping aquariums since I was young and would say that I am knowledgable when it comes to most aquarium topics. However, I am lost when it comes to sicknesses.

I recently ordered 4 guppies from LiveAquatics and they came to my house the next day. I followed the directions and kept the room dim in order to appropriately adjust them so they wouldn't go into shock. After they were in my tank I let them relax for a few hours. I turned the aquarium light on four hours later and found that 2/4 had WHITE SPOTS!!! I freaked out and immediately pulled them from my tank and put them in a floating one gallon tank inside of mine. Their water does not have contact with the water in my tank now.

I did some research and learned that even a drop of water from an ich tank could transfer it.

I turned up the heat to 87 degrees over two days so there would not be a large temp increase all at once. In the midst of the last couple days the same 2/4 guppies that originally had it have died. Now, the other two guppies I got in the mail are showing white spots.

I then noticed now that a few of my fish have the spots :nono: (goldfish, and silver dollar) them too which SCARES ME. I am very OCD when it comes to the cleanliness of my fish tank and the water.

I have never EVER had any fish sickness in my tank and do not want to lose any of my original fish. I did research and read the following tips, increase heat, Melafix, Ich Remedy, or aquarium salt.. I purchased all of them but have not put any into my main fish tank yet. Obviously, I wouldn't use all at once. Just want to buy them all to be safe. What do you guys suggest? Here are my fish tank specs ; 60 gallon, with goldfish, two guppies, baby guppies in a breeder box, eel, ghost shrimp, silver dollar, one molly, and two smallish fast fish that I forget the name of (LOL) (they were picked out by a friend), and live plants.

I would just turn it up to 86 for awhile and put some salt in with water changes, when I got ich I did water changes every couple days and added a couple table spoons of aquarium salt with the new water, I did this for a couple of weeks then tuned the heat down very gradually and it seemed to work

I have never put salt in my aquarium and have never had nay problems. If I introduce it all of the sudden that won't cause any problems will it? Also, if I am not treating for rich will that cause them to get it continually?

The salt just helps with the fish's slime coat and immune systems. You don't need a lot especially if you have a planted tank. Turning your heat up accelerates the life cycle of the ich and kills it off, I think the salt helps with that too. Plants don't really like the salt.

Tank is 60 gallon, and the one with the two very sick guppies that LiveAquaria sent are in a 1 gallon floating in the big tank

It seems like you're doing okay, just keep the heat up and I wouldn't use any chemicals

If you want to throw in 3 tablespoons of salt dissolved it may help

I treated ich with my proven method always. Higher the tank temperature like u did already. Add a couple of garlic cloves to ur tank. Next day when u feed ur fish put some of the ginger powder with ur fish food so they can eat it. Feed them a pinch of ginger powder with there meals. Keep ur tank lights off all the time. In very less time the ich will completely eradicated from ur tank.

Back
Top Bottom