FISH 911 HELP!!!!! Blue Gourami Turned Grey/Sunken Eyes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cee219

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay this is going to be short and to the point. I have a 55g aquarium been up for two years. Never had TOO many problems other than beginner probs.

A week ago I bought three new gouramis, some zanios and some african dwarf frogs. 4 of my 5 african dwarf frogs died within 12 hours in my tank. My ammonia levels are 0 as far as I can tell but I'm not good at judging slight coloration changes, looks bright yellow.

Then today rubbernose pleco (who I have had at least 3 months) and one of my new powder blue dwarf gouramis was almost dead onthe bottom, his bottom half turned to a siilver grey and barely gasping for breath. The other gourami fighitng for his life laying on the bottom to rest. The third fine, just hanging around the top. My diagnosis is ammonia skyrocketed when I added the fish.... but my a mmonia levels are fine.

I just want to know what's happeneing. The now dead fish's eyes are sunken into his head. I'll get pics ASAP, I just discovered this 10 mins ago so youc an imagine my hysteria

THANK YOU!!!

When did you last do a water change? What test kit are you using, bright yellow can be 0 on some tests but I have one test that bright yellow indicates there is ammonia present. If you haven't done a water change I would do one about 50%. Did you add all the fish at the same time? Have you tested for nitrite? If you got an ammonia spike from adding the fish at the same time, it is possible that you are in a nitrite spike now.There are several things it could be, I'd start with the pwc and get exact parameters.

Aside from the fish did you do anything else differently?

Back
Top Bottom