Fish are dying randomly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

masterfisheryy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello ya'll

I was wondering if I can get a second opinion or any ideas as to why all my fish are dying. I started my tank back in November and stocked it with 8 clown loaches and 8 peacock cichlids in a 125 gallon. The substrate used was 1 inch of organic miracle grow with 3 inches of black diamond blasting sand. I got the API Freshwater Test Kit and have monitored the water parameters religiously. About two weeks in the tank was completely cycled. However, ever since then, the fish have been dying off periodically. At first it was the clown loaches as I noticed they were flashing (scratching on the driftwood). I treated with PraziPro but that didn't seem to do much.

Just yesterday, I stocked the tank with a royal pleco and to my dismay this morning, I found not only the royal pleco dead, but three cichlids and a clown. At this point, I have definitely crossed out just stock quality issues. I tested the water and it shows 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 20 nitrates. I also have to add that on occasions, especially when someone bumps into the aquarium, gas bubbles do come out of the substrate. I am scared to buy anymore fish and desperately want to save what is remaining. My tank is planted with an assortment of plants that is supplemented with root tabs and seachem excel, flourish, and iron. It also has adequet lighting, yet some of those plants also appear to be dying off. Please help!

I can't help any with the plant issue. No signs of anything on the fish? Poke around with your fingers in the substrate to release any gas pockets. Unlikely tho that only after a few months you'd have substantial toxic gas buildup. Were your fish in the aquarium when you did the cycle?

Hello ya'll

I was wondering if I can get a second opinion or any ideas as to why all my fish are dying. I started my tank back in November and stocked it with 8 clown loaches and 8 peacock cichlids in a 125 gallon. The substrate used was 1 inch of organic miracle grow with 3 inches of black diamond blasting sand. I got the API Freshwater Test Kit and have monitored the water parameters religiously. About two weeks in the tank was completely cycled. However, ever since then, the fish have been dying off periodically. At first it was the clown loaches as I noticed they were flashing (scratching on the driftwood). I treated with PraziPro but that didn't seem to do much.

Just yesterday, I stocked the tank with a royal pleco and to my dismay this morning, I found not only the royal pleco dead, but three cichlids and a clown. At this point, I have definitely crossed out just stock quality issues. I tested the water and it shows 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 20 nitrates. I also have to add that on occasions, especially when someone bumps into the aquarium, gas bubbles do come out of the substrate. I am scared to buy anymore fish and desperately want to save what is remaining. My tank is planted with an assortment of plants that is supplemented with root tabs and seachem excel, flourish, and iron. It also has adequet lighting, yet some of those plants also appear to be dying off. Please help!

Could you add a couple of airstones? Might be oxygen related.

I can't help any with the plant issue. No signs of anything on the fish? Poke around with your fingers in the substrate to release any gas pockets. Unlikely tho that only after a few months you'd have substantial toxic gas buildup. Were your fish in the aquarium when you did the cycle?
Hey, thank you for your response. I sincerely appreciate it. Absolutely nothing on the fish. From a glance, it looks like most of them are peacefully resting on the substrate. It isn't until I get a closer look do I see that their gills aren't moving. Their colors are just as vibrant if they recently died. If they died overnight, it is also strange in that they look like they are just resting albeit with signs of decomposition. It is extremely frustrating. I do weekly water changes as well. Yes, the fish were in the tank when it was cycling but I dosed with a whole bottle of Tetra Safe Start as well as water changes whenever the ammonia and nitrite peaked above 1ppm. However, both new and old fish are dying.

Back
Top Bottom