Fish Cancer???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaGal

Aquarium Advice Addict
Has anyone heard or seen if a fish can get cancer or something similar? My DG got this sore looking thing on his head back in January. I've researched every possible thing I can think of that it could be and have come up with nothing. Someone here suggested TB, which at least was closer, but still didn't look like this. I've used stress coat to try and help him. Since this thing showed up, I've done two parasite treatments, which double rules out hole in the head, another suggestion. It looked like it wasn't doing much of anything, and it wasn't bothering him unless he hit it on the lava rock, so I kept his water clean and let him carry on being a happy little fishy.

Well, now that I'm back from spending Easter with my family, this thing has grown larger. He nibbles at the food but hardly eats anything. He used to eat himself till he looked like he had dropsy if I would let him. He's not his happy, gardening self now. It looks like he's getting thinner lately. He's also started twitching oddly, so I wonder if its going into his head, not just on it. With how he's been all week, I will most likely put an end to his misery and get a new fish after a water change just to make sure everything is great in the tank.

I just wonder if its possible for this to be something like cancer? Or just a weird tumor looking thing? He's hiding and being lethargic, so a decent picture is out of the question at the moment. I can tell you the tumor(?) in question is pink and looks painful. Any input on this one? Thanks.

Recently, scientists have been discovering wild fish with skin cancers due to sunlight exposure. More commonly, fish 'cancers' and tumors are viral related. However, with your fish's other symptoms, it sounds more like DGIV (dwarf gourami iridovirus). I do not have personal experience with it but I the studies I have read about it are quite interesting as it appears to be becoming a more rampant problem. Imported fish have tested positive in more than 20% of the cases, with some studies suggesting a much higher prevalence. Although it was originally believed to be DG-specific virus, it has been found in other species of fish as well. Heres some more info on it:

http://www.aces.edu/dept/fisheries/education/ras/publications/Update/Iridovirus in gouramis.pdf

Back
Top Bottom