Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-11-2004, 02:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Fish comes home sick...

I am so mad I am about to cry. I think this hobby stresses me out to much. To make a long story short I went to the LFS to get some fish for my 30gal. I got 6 tiger barbs. One comes home with white cotton on its mouth. I looked it up and it may be this:

"Names: Columnaris, Cotton-Wool, Cotton-Mouth, Flexibacter, Mouth Fungus"

I didn't have a chance to look at the fish before I got home because my mom took me and she is real sick so I was in a big hurry. My car is broken down so I can't take them back.

I would call the LFS (that I hate, but I went there cause it's the closest one) and complain but they hate my already cause they are rude and know nothing about fish and I let them know it. Today I let them know what I think about dyed fish.

Anyways what can I do to cure this. Any at home treatments?

Thanks for listening to me

Also Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 10
(Cycled with bio-spira)

EDIT- Actually I don't know if it is so "cotton like". It looks like its mouth rotted away a little bit.

PLUS I told the STUPID guy to give me 6 that are all the same size. Well he was way off!!!!

EDIT- I bought some corys from them for the 10 gallon. He said there were "green" corys. So I call back to ask their exact name and he says "I have no idea thats what it says on the invoice."

Also I put the sick tiger barb in a 2 gallon fish bowl I have, for now. (it was empty)

15 (2 Bronze Corys, 4 Albino Corys, Black Molly)

30 (Breeder) (Blood Parrot, 1 Tiger Barbs, 3 Clown Loaches)

Pictures of my tanks
mayreee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 02:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Use Kanacyn, do the full treatment even if the fish looks good after a couple days. Kanacyn is the only think I have seen completely beat down bad Columnaris. As far as home remedies go, keep doing water changes. If that Goldfish Bowl does not have a heater or filter, you are not doing the fish any favors by keeping him in there.

Anyway, as you have learned, you are responsible for picking out and and make sure fish are healthy before you bring them home. Most LFS just want to sell you fish and get on to the next customer. Also, this stresses the important of a QT tank. Even if fish are not visibly sick when you get them, they can be carrying any number of parasites or dieases.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 02:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

check out liveaquaria.com, they've got a bunch of cory species listed with pictures so maybe you can figure it out from that? Good luck with the sick barb!!

Tags
ick, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com