fish dying fast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nessa26

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I don't know what's happening to my tank I'm having a fish die nearly everyday had 12 Tetris now have 5 left, angel fish x2. And sucking fishes x2 ent know what to do it's not cheap to keep buying them just to have them die. Any advice would be great

Hi I don't know what's happening to my tank I'm having a fish die nearly everyday had 12 Tetris now have 5 left, angel fish x2. And sucking fishes x2 ent know what to do it's not cheap to keep buying them just to have them die. Any advice would be great

More information is required for advice to be given:
What size is your tank
How long has it been running
What stock do you have- what species and sizes
What filter are you running
Do you have a test kit
How often do you change out water
How much do you change
What dechlorinator do you use
How much and how often do you feed

I know its a lot of questions, but they are all important to know.

It's a 3foot tank and I have silver shark several sucking fish, Tetris, convict which I had to desperate as he was attacking everyone, mollies,angel fish, zebra fins, not many to start as I was concerned of them dying, I do have a heater and just a standard pump, have my pump/filter coming as I was wanting to get the right one. Using sand instead of gravel as I was told was better to use sand for better water quality. Had this tank for about a month now. I dnt have a testing kit and I've been having to change the water twice s week as the fish are dying and losing colour I notice their colour comessage darker once water is changed.

You should get a liquid API master kit and start testing your water, what type of dechlorinator do you use when you change water?

Also, if you've had the tank a month it's most likely not cycled, search the forums for fish in cycling, I had to do the same thing with my 10g, it's just finished cycling. I had alittle trouble understanding your fish count, but it might be over stocked alittle but I might be wrong on that count.

Hi Nessa, welcome to AA, I agree with prior reply that your tank is likely not to be cycled and what you are seeing is "new tank syndrome", your goal now will be to minimize fish loss through proper maintenance. Fish in cycling can be very scary, time consuming and expensive if you really care to save all of your stock. I did it and if ever presented with choice I'd always go for the fish-less cycling. But you have already got yours and unless able to return them you will have to deal with them. It cost me time and money when 3 of my tanks went into a minicycle but me and all my fish made it through with only casualty of it being a mild case of fin rot in one of the betta tanks. During this time I tested twice a day and did water changes that often or more in order to keep first the spiking ammonia then nitrites down. I used Prime to condition my tap water and kept dosing with Stability (supposedly helps establish the BB). How many gallons of water does your tank hold? We need to know that and exactly how many and what kinds of fish you have in there in order to help you more effectively. You can do it! I lost few ghost shrimp during mine but no fish loss being a complete novice at it, and so can you. Hang in there:)

Back
Top Bottom