fish dying, possible disease?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brybry

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all!

First of all I'm a newbie so bare with me please. Recently we have had a few fish die off. 3 julii Cory cats, a few neon tetras and a few hours ago I had to cull an adult female guppy. The corys started swimming weird, upside down and had red coloration around their gills and eventually croaked :/. Not sure how the tetras died I just found them dead. The guppy I just culled started to appear ill a few weeks ago. Eventually she became deflated looking, belly sunken in and today when I culled the poor thing I noticed that the spine curved and kind of resembled a broken s.

After a ton of reading I realize that there are lots of things that could be going on. I fear for the rest of the community. I also realize, like everything else in this hobby, that all information is conflicting and I do not know what to believe.

Another thing I'd like to add that I read could be a possibility, ramshorn snails. My gf bought me some ramshorn snails and a clump of java moss for valentines day. She doesn't know anything about the person she bought them from. What worries me is that they can carry parasites that can kill fish, or so I read. Is this true? Could my snails have transfered something to the tank? Or is it something unrelated? Perhaps multiple things? I'm so frustrated and overwhelmed. None of the other fish are currently showing any behavioral or physical signs of illness.

Most recent water reading is; ammonia between 0 and .25 ppm, nitrite 0 ppm and nitrate .20 ppm. Let me also add that I am using the API master fw test kit and have read that the ammonia test is inaccurate. I tested out tap water as well which is what we use to fill the tank and it reads the same as the test done on the aquarium. :/

Bent spine is sign of nitrate poisoning. I don't agree about going to Lps they just want to sell you stuff

Back
Top Bottom