Fish flashing but not ich please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Craig4640

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys & girls I have 3 tanks set up one is a community tank that is 4ft, one has tiger barbs, danios and a pair of kribensis in and one is a small 25litre tank that has shrimp and baby red coral platies in.

The fish in the community tank have all been flashing now for a couple of months but showing no other signs of White spot and the tiger barbs have been flashing for nearly the same amount of time. And now my baby platies are flashing too!!!!

I have treated my community tank for White spot twice now over the past couple of months as the treatment I have says it kills White spot and other parasites but they are still flashing and I dont know what to do :-(

I haven't lost any fish for months so it's not killing them, or at least not quickly!

Water perimeters are fine in all tanks with readings of (or close to) 0ppm for ammonia, nitrate and nitrite and all tanks have a PH of 8.0 which I know is a little high but thats what the tap water here is.

Tests were done using the api liquid test kit

Any help much appreciated

Fish Health

Good morning Craig...

I'm "old school" when it comes to water keeping, so never use chemicals in my tanks. Fish ailments are difficult for us amatures to recognize, so I'd recommend an aggressive water change schedule to start. For the next 10 days, I'd change half the tank water in your tank or tanks every other day. You can also raise the temperature in the tank a few degrees, 80 should be sufficient. Maintain that temp for 10 days.

Lastly, I would add a little standard aquarium salt to the water change water. I've used a teaspoon in every five gallons of my water change water for several years and have never had a disease in my tanks. Most fish pathogens can't tolerate even a trace of salt in the tank water.

Whatever is wrong with your fish, a little warmth, aquarium salt and a lot of very, very clean water will help.

Please keep me posted if you like.

B

Look up the symptoms for velvet and compare to what is going on in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom