Fish gasping at surface?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elisa

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I used to have 1 goldfish in a 30 gallon tank with 1 HOB Penguin Filter that pumped 200 GPH. I upgraded to a 55 gallon and moved everything into the bigger tank for an instant cycle. I then added another HOB Penguin filter and a sponge filter rated for up to 15 gallons. The 55 gal still only has 1 goldfish so the bioload was never changed. The water temp fluctuates between 70f and 74f. The PH is between 7.5-8.5. Nitrates are between 0-20. And Nitrites are 0. I do not have an ammonia tester. I change about 20% of the water every 4-5 days.

My issue is that my goldfish is constantly going to the surface and pecking. I do not think it is because of a lack of Oxygen, as I have 3 filters the water is flowing well. In the old tank it had sand that she would peck at, and the surface occasionally, but now she’s in a bare bottom and since I moved her the pecking has increased. I was going to get another goldfish today to see if the issue is with the tank or with her individually. Why is she doing this?

Don’t add another fish; it will likely just exacerbate the problem. Especially since gasping at the surface is a sign of ammonia poisoning. I’d do extra water changes with prime just in case and get an ammonia test kit ASAP. Could be some bacteria died off during the transfer or were left behind in old gravel or something and you’re in a mini cycle.

While you’re at it it sounds like you’re using test strips? I’d get liquid tests for nitrite and nitrate too. You need to know what’s going on in your water chemistry!

Back
Top Bottom