Fish gasping at surface after water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

forestwalker101

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,

So a disturbing occurrence I seem to be having is that every time I change the water all my fish and my snail book it to the top of the tank. I always add a cap full of prime to the new water and swirl it before adding it to the tank. I'm using warm water about the same temp as the tank water and I only change 4 gal max each time, usually less. I have a 20 gal planted tank. All the levels in the tank are normal. Nitrates are maybe 15ppm. I also have a bubbler on in my tank at all times. I know that the water is low in oxygen I just don't have the slightest idea why. The fish usually return to their normal locations after 2-4 days. Is this normal? Should it be something I should be concerned with?

That's for the advice!

Jesse

After a water change you should have an increase in oxygen and your plants should be producing oxygen. Do you run co2?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you have a decent bubbler running I would blame something other than oxygen. Unless you have water in your tank that is stagnant.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Sounds like you're doing everything right. What kind of fish?

Adding water should really up the oxygen in the water for a little while, not the opposite.

10 guppies 4 mollies 1 julli cory 2 dwarf frogs and 2 otocinclus. The bubbler came with the tank and I think it's a bit small. But my filter definitely moves the water. I had to put a cave under it to keep it from pushing all my sand around and making a crater. It even pushed the fish around who swim right under it. I do not add co2. My plants already need trimmed and I've only had my tank for 3 monthes.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Another thing to consider is doing a larger water change or say 40-50%. This would help increase the oxygen levels, and remove more nitrates from the water.
When you do change the water how often do you do it? Do you gravel vacuum?
I reread your OP and you said that you add 1 capful of Prime. That amount can treat 50 gallons of water if chlorine, chloramine, or ammonia levels are high; it can treat 100 gallons if those levels are low amd the temperature is above 86* fahrenheit.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I usually change the water once a week usually to vacuum more so than to lower nitrate levels. The temp in the tank is always between 79 and 81. I usually scrub the glass with a mag float then vacuum to get rid of some the alge that gets kicked up and clean the sand.

Your Tank

Hello fore...

Small water changes do nothing to keep the tank water clear of dissolved wastes and don't replace minerals lost to constant filtration. Small tanks need at least half the water replaced every few days, a week at the most.

Start working toward the 50 percent weekly water change. Your fish will appreciate the much larger amount of new, treated tap water.

B

Id be treating the tap with prime before you put it in and also be using the correct dosage. But thats just my opinion, it depends on if your water might have the possibility of chlorine or heavy metals.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I do add the prime to the tap water before I put it in the tank and swirl it around. Then I pout it in front of my filter to help circulate the new water. Also changing the water is what is causing the fish to to the surface . After a few days they are happy and back in the middle and bottom of the tank. I will try reducing the amount of prime I add to the water maybe I'm adding too much. Half a capful would be more than I need to treat my whole tank. I have also heard that large frequent water changes can cause additional stress to the fish and cause the tank to mini cycle. Is that true?

Stress to the fish, possibly but it should be short lived as long as theres cover for your fish to destress under. Mini cycles can be cause by over vacuuming. The bacteria for cycling lives on the surfaces of the tank decor, gravel, etc. not the water.

Please define gasping as well. With my platys they will often skim the surface with their mouths, opening and closing their mouths as they go but this is quite common for top feeders. Gasping is a symptom of ammonia poisoning (which damages the gills and prevents oxygen from being absorbed) but you said the ammonia was 0. Make sure your not overfeeding and causing short mini cycles. Also if your ph is high it will make even the smallest amount of ammonia 10 times worse. Lastly, oxygen is harder to absorb at higher temperatures so i would not recommend keeping the fish at 80 or above unless they are new additions and you are trying to prevent ich. Water changes add oxygen like others have said. Have you tested your water source for ammonia? Some water sources already contain contaminants.
Ps. Please note that doing even at LEAST a 25% change weekly will not usually keep nitrates low enough. You should be doing at least %50 weekly changes.
P.s.s. What test kit do you use?

I do add the prime to the tap water before I put it in the tank and swirl it around. Then I pout it in front of my filter to help circulate the new water. Also changing the water is what is causing the fish to to the surface . After a few days they are happy and back in the middle and bottom of the tank. I will try reducing the amount of prime I add to the water maybe I'm adding too much. Half a capful would be more than I need to treat my whole tank. I have also heard that large frequent water changes can cause additional stress to the fish and cause the tank to mini cycle. Is that true?

I do weekly ~75% water changes.

My CPDs are normally skittish, so they don't really like it and start to school into a tight group.

But my cory and gourami seem completely indifferent while i'm vacuumming about. I actually have to nudge them away as they try to eat the detritus that gets kicked up while I'm vacuuming. It's quite entertaining actually.

I've never had an issue with a mini cycle after water changes.

I use the api liquid test kit. I have city water so other then the standard chlorine there's not much in it. The ph is very stable at 7.6. My cory even goes to the surface grabs a breath and swims back down. Like I said l this only happens right after a water change then after a few days it gets better.

Attachments

• 1426197271284.jpg
    1426197271284.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 533
Corys aren't laybrinth fish so that is strange. I would try upgrading the size air stone your using.

I thought it was odd too. He shoots up from the bottom hits the surface and shoots back down again.

My corry likes to zip along the glass maybe hes just glass surfing and likes to go all the way up? Mines done that before when i had him in a 10 gallon

Back
Top Bottom