Fish hanging out at top

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plantgirl02

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

First to answer some ?'s... I have a 29G freshwater planted community tank. 14 fish, listed below in my signature. Temp is steady 79 degrees, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 5, not sure what pH is. Has been setup since the beginning of February. I have an Eclipse hood so I have filtration from that, but using my own cut out sponge instead of the long sponge that typically comes with Eclipse because I didn't feel it filtered well. I dose with Seachem ferts twice a week, change 50% of the water once a week. I feed my fish frozen baby brine shrimp, frozen cyclopeeze, and flake food. Haven't changed diet recently. The specific fish I am asking about I have had since the middle of February, and I just added 2 new fish to this group a week ago.

Anyway, ever since I'd say 3-4 weeks ago, I would notice my male red wag swordtail sitting at the top of the tank, gasping rapidly at the top and almost like making/popping bubbles with his lips because he would gasp so fast. But when I'd walk up to the tank to check it out, he would swim away and act all normal... then a few minutes later, go back to the top in the exact same corner. He also has normal, bright coloring and eats normally; except I noticed his gills and underneath his gill area is white while the other swordtails are orange there. But it does not look like fungus, just that his scales are the color white instead of orange in this area.

I thought maybe he was doing this because there wasn't enough oxygen in the tank. But out of 14 fish, he is the only one doing this. I even put an airstone in the tank for about a week (I didn't originally have one because of my plants) to see if that would help, but he still does it... so I turned the airstone off. Again, this started about 3-4 weeks ago and I have not seen any other fish do this since then.

Does anyone have any guesses of what this could be... ?

Back
Top Bottom