Fish has Bloat - Help please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

purpleunicorn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all---I do have 2 tanks--a freshwater with about 15 different fish. I've had a tank for many years and seem to be very successful with it. My fish grow very big and seem very happy. I have a betta of which I am very concerned about. I have read several articles and seem to think that Mojo has bloat. Poor thing looks like he's going to explode. He tries to swim to the bottom, but is so bouyant, all he does it float at the top. I only feed him once a day and it's onl a few pellets. What do I do and will he die. He's been like this for a couple of months. Thank you

Hi there and welcome to AA!

Sorry you are having trouble with your fish. If it is indeed bloat, one of the easiest and often successful ways to treat it is to feed shelled peas to the fish. Peas are a laxative that can help clear out the problem.

Thank you for that. If it isn't bloat, what else could it be. Do I feed regular type peas or are these dried peas. Sorry if that sounds stupid, but I've never dealt with this.

You would want to get some frozen peas, thaw them, and squeeze the goo out of them, discard the outer shell.

Back
Top Bottom